IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Unknown Place with Photos

During my last Geo-walk a fellow Local Guide told me that one of the places he added is not approved and gave me a chance to check his newly added business place in Google map contribution tab. I could see the photos added by him but the name of the place was not visible and it's displayed as "Unknown Place". I just checked my contribution tab and found a similar one with photo but the name of the place has been highlighted as "Unknown Place". Seems the place is not approved but still the photograph is visible in Google map. Also I could notice that there are 45 viewers on that particular photo, but the place is not in the map.
When we are adding a new place and if it is not approved, the images should also be deleted. @Corrie could you please check on this.

Place missing.JPGPlace missing2.JPGPlace missing3.jpg

Sri Lanka
8 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Unknown Place with Photos

@IlankovanT wrote:

Seems the place is not approved but still the photograph is visible in Google map.

Did you add this place (the shop) to the map and add your photo, or just add your photo to an existing listing? The photo is visible in your contributions but I don't think it will be visible in Google Maps because it's not associated with any listing?

Unknown place suggests the photo was added to a live approved place but that the association between the photo and that place was subsequently broken. Often that means the listing for the place has been removed, but perhaps the photo was removed from a listing which is still live - is it possible you added this photo to the wrong place?

Level 9

@Pea this shop was added by myself during the January Geo Walk. While adding the place I have uploaded the photos. If the place is not approved, then there should be a mechanism to remove the photos also. Also you can see the image views as 45. My worries is if the place is no more exists (removed by someone / when I add this place and not approved) then the photo should not be there. And it's highlighted as Unknown Place

Level 9
Level 9

@IlankovanT wrote:

If the place is not approved

You should have received a confirmation email after adding the shop saying 'Published: Your addition of...'. If so that means the place was approved, the photo started gaining views but the place listing was subsequently removed?

Level 9

@Pea I have received a notification email as you mentioned. But was pending. Also I think this seems to be a system issue because I have checked few local guides contributions and similar things are there 'Unknown Place' even after removing the place, the photo still remains with Unknown Place name.

Level 9
Level 9

@IlankovanT wrote:

@Pea I have received a notification email as you mentioned. But was pending

Have you had an update saying either Approved or Not Applied?

Level 10

I just noticed that now several of my photos in Google Maps list "Unknown place". The businesses are still open and before today, my photos did list the correct location. Are you still seeing this happen with your photos? Not sure if this is a bug or something happened with my account.
Level 5

I have also been having similar issues, & places that I have previously added photos to are now listed as unknown place in my contributions, and no longer have a listing for the place on google maps. although the places I am having this problem with are public areas such as parks & beaches & are still there & open to the public. If I search for the place name in google maps in takes me to a listing for a cafe or other business within or close to the area & the listing for the actual park or beach etc is gone.

Level 8

Hi, 

I too the same experience of marked new location with photos, but not approved ( Not Applied). But photos getting views with unknown place. I am not able to edit to change location.  Please help me with solutions.