LStefanoL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Unable to add historic landmark

There's one of the main city gates [redacted] missing in my town. Proof: [redacted]

Coordinates [redacted]

Adding an historical landmark via Maps goes directly to "Not applied". Perhaps because it gets confused with the nearby street bearing a similar name.

The corresponding Map Maker edit https://goo.gl/hM6RBh has been pending since april 2016 (like all edits in my area, thank you RLs...).

17 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Unable to add historic landmark

I have reviewed your place. Your link made me to use language translator since it takes to map in Italian language. If anyone wants to check in this place with English language then go through https://mapmaker.google.com/mapmaker?iwloc=0_0&fmi=0_0&gw=39&fid=1383129962678539211:215869291905413...

I found that your marking is edited for correcting poor data and it needs google moderation. So you have to contact with your regional lead. Please check this link below for further process, https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/map-maker/category$3A(other-regions)%7Csort:r...

Otherwise by time when place gets more reviews it will be published. I also have made a suggestion for publishing it on the basis of wikipedia source. Hoping that you will get your place soon in map. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

I have reviewed your place. Your link made me to use language translator since it takes to map in Italian language. If anyone wants to check in this place with English language then go through https://mapmaker.google.com/mapmaker?iwloc=0_0&fmi=0_0&gw=39&fid=1383129962678539211:215869291905413...

I found that your marking is edited for correcting poor data and it needs google moderation. So you have to contact with your regional lead. Please check this link below for further process, https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/map-maker/category$3A(other-regions)%7Csort:r...

Otherwise by time when place gets more reviews it will be published. I also have made a suggestion for publishing it on the basis of wikipedia source. Hoping that you will get your place soon in map. Thank you.

Level 8

Same thing for another identical historical landmark.

Map Maker edit: https://goo.gl/n2oi4R

This is too annoying. Mapping with google is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Connect Moderator

@BishowvijayaP good of you to look that up, but don't depend on map maker, remember it is being turned off in March this year.

@LStefanoL when adding places you need to add as much information as you possibly can - I regularly add landmarks through the Google Maps app and if you can complete all the fields that is helpful. Usually landmarks, parks, etc. will have a web page belonging to the local government authority for that area. Using WikiPedia or other entries will likely be denied/ignored.  Use the website for the LGA and use the phone number for the LGA as well. 

Regards

Paul

Level 8

I haven't added any wikipedia URL. I tried adding more details but - as i stated in my first post - my edit goes directly to "Not applied". 

The landmark is easily verifiable via Street View if for some stupid reason google doesn't trust wikipedia.

Connect Moderator

@LStefanoL I think it goes directly to Not Applied because it is already there - even a pending item that isn't published with the same name in the same place will cause a new entry to be not applied as a duplicate. It looks like @BishowvijayaP prompt to the region lead has it now set as "published" - wait for a while (24 to 48 hours) for it to appear in the public map.

If you have access to the Android App go to the spot and look at "Check The Facts" under "Your contributions" and you can see pending edits in that area.

Regards

Paul

Level 8

@PaulP wrote:

@LStefanoL I think it goes directly to Not Applied because it is already there - even a pending item that isn't published with the same name in the same place will cause a new entry to be not applied as a duplicate.

Yup, so it seems. 😉

And tha makes perfect sense too... too bad my region hasn't seen hany RL activity in more than a year or so.
Let's hope mapmaker gets shut down ASAP, even though that means my ~3k pending edits will go to utter waste.

Connect Moderator

I've had old edits turn up in LG so they might not get wasted. I don't know what the transition plan is, I imagine Google will let us know closer to the time.

Level 10

Hello @PaulPavlinovich and @LStefanoL, thank you for conversation. It is a great problem for me as @LStefanoL is facing. My problem is due to the landmarks in remote and rural areas. Currently, e-governance system is in progress but it takes some years to complete. Places don't even have Wikipedia source. School have no contact numbers. To have website is too far. But the good thing is almost all people through the country have access in cell phone internet. Most of the young generation are spending their time in facebook. Many places are published in facebook as a page. Google is publishing  facebook page urls also. I know there is no problem with verified pages. But Google might have allowed pages for developing countries. Google office needs to be established in all countries to solve these problems as I think.

Connect Moderator

Part of the intent of Local Guides is so that local Maps offices are not needed @BishowvijayaP - the locals can add and other locals can verify the places using Check The Facts. This means that places without complete information will still get approved as long as other locals agree with them. This crowd sourcing prevents the need for Region Leads and local Maps offices.

The current tool set is a great start and will continue to improve. 

I would suggest that you apply to the next summit should one get announced and bring your thoughts to the workshops. This sort of issue was discussed at LGSummit16 but not in great detail because there were only a couple out of the 75 who were experiencing this issue so it likely rated down in importance. The other interesting factor is currently Google have three map bases (Earth, Maps and Waze) they sort of share data but not completely for example you can add a place in Maps and it won't appear in Waze and vice-versa. There are many things to be resolved. The good news is that I know for certain that the LG and Maps teams work very closely together and solutions will come in time.

Regards

Paul