Gokulkrishna's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Two Wheeler only Roads/ No Car Roads/ No Four-Wheeler Roads

There is this problem of Two Wheeler only Roads in India, which are narrow streets which basically enables people/Cyclists/Two wheelers to navigate quickly to the main roads.
So, as we book an Uber/Ola/Any cab provider and the driver arrives using the navigation, most of the time it navigates the driver with the shortest route possible and that includes two-wheeler only road which causes frustration to the driver as he has to do a detour again.

So, Is there a mechanism whereby you can also provide Two-wheeler only road while editing the map, as it doesn't cover this option and in a country like India where roads aren't usually proper, this can be an ideal extra option.

Also, an option wherein the navigation screen asks you whether I'm travelling on Two-Wheeler or Four-Wheeler, once the above two wheeler only road mapping facility is available and implemented on such roads.

I believe once this is done, It will easier to map such roads and ensure Google recognizes it based on above suggestions and ensures the driver is navigated properly on drivable roads.

Hope my suggestion is Implemented.

I've edited a road near my area where such a problem exists( ofcourse, It hasn't been approved) and wondering it to be a India-specific problem, I believe such a feature can be implemented.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Two Wheeler only Roads/ No Car Roads/ No Four-Wheeler Roads

Hello,

Features on the map are not designed differently for each country, but rather there are numerous options available worldwide that just need to be correctly applied in each situation.

Roads can have various restrictions on them.  At this time Google only provides navigation for walking, bicycling or regular vehicles.  If a road is only for walking or biking a "No-Auto" restriction can be added to the road.  You can request that a Googler does this via Feedback.

If a road technically can have vehicles on it, but they would have a tough time using the road, which I think describes the roads of which you speak, then the road should be designated as Terminal.  This tells the system to only use the road for navigation if the start or end point is actually on the road, but to otherwise bypass it.  Separately it still can be marked as being appropriate for walking or bicycling.

If you ask Google to mark the roads as either "Priority = No Auto, bicycling and walking are OK" or "Priority = Terminal, bicycling and walking are OK but vehicles will have issues and should not use the road for through traffic" (I suggest using what I have put in quotes so it is understood by the Googler) then cars will be properly routed.  Scooters and motorcycles can either choose to use car routing or bicycle routing when they ask for directions, depending on what is legal and reasonable in the area.

Please note that if every road is difficult for traffic to navigate then they should not be marked as Terminal, as they will still need to be used for navigation.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

Features on the map are not designed differently for each country, but rather there are numerous options available worldwide that just need to be correctly applied in each situation.

Roads can have various restrictions on them.  At this time Google only provides navigation for walking, bicycling or regular vehicles.  If a road is only for walking or biking a "No-Auto" restriction can be added to the road.  You can request that a Googler does this via Feedback.

If a road technically can have vehicles on it, but they would have a tough time using the road, which I think describes the roads of which you speak, then the road should be designated as Terminal.  This tells the system to only use the road for navigation if the start or end point is actually on the road, but to otherwise bypass it.  Separately it still can be marked as being appropriate for walking or bicycling.

If you ask Google to mark the roads as either "Priority = No Auto, bicycling and walking are OK" or "Priority = Terminal, bicycling and walking are OK but vehicles will have issues and should not use the road for through traffic" (I suggest using what I have put in quotes so it is understood by the Googler) then cars will be properly routed.  Scooters and motorcycles can either choose to use car routing or bicycle routing when they ask for directions, depending on what is legal and reasonable in the area.

Please note that if every road is difficult for traffic to navigate then they should not be marked as Terminal, as they will still need to be used for navigation.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

How to map the roads as you're saying?
"Priority = No Auto, bicycling and walking are OK" or "Priority = Terminal,

I've checked it out, but couldn't find the feedback as mentioned by you.

Level 9

@Gokulkrishna wrote:

How to map the roads as you're saying?
"Priority = No Auto, bicycling and walking are OK" or "Priority = Terminal,

I've checked it out, but couldn't find the feedback as mentioned by you.

on a PC

Right-click on the road you want to mam/mark

Click : ""Report a Data Problem"

on the bottom, click 

"Add a note"

then type "Priority = No Auto, bicycling and walking are OK"

click Submit