NaomaD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Tried to add a public boating access to Maps and got denied!

I took a couple of 360 Street View photos to share and tried to add the place and Google Maps didn't accept it.  The place even has a public parking spot for trailers to park.  Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 8.32.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-09 at 8.33.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-09 at 8.35.01 AM.png

302 Fulcher Landing Loop Rd, Sneads Ferry, NC 28460, United States
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Tried to add a public boating access to Maps and got denied!

Hello @NaomaD

The feature is already mapped as "Sneads Ferry Boating Access".  If that is incorrect, please edit the existing feature rather than adding a new one.

Basically, your addition was being denied due to it being a duplicate.  As there is too much information on the map to display it all, algorithms are used to choose what to display depending on the current user, options, search words, etc.  For that reason a search should always be made first to ensure the feature you want to add is not already on the map.

Please do not add any website that does not belong directly to the feature.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

There's one obvious thing I can think of, this location is 'Fulcher Landing Rd' not 'Fulcher Landing Loop Rd'

Beyond that though there are a couple of other things to consider. Not everything that exists is necessarily mappable and descriptive names are not permitted. If 'Snead’s Ferry Boating Access Area' is a description of the place rather than its proper name then it wouldn't be allowed and if the place doesn't have a proper name then it's not really mappable. 

Level 8

That makes sense... But the sign says Fulcher Landing Loop Rd so that is why it is confusing.  I did some research on the North Carolina Wildlife Commission website and found out that it s Fulcher Landing Rd even though the sign at the boat ramp says Fulcher Landing Loop Rd. So I will resubmit to Google Maps with the correct address and see if it will be accepted then.  http://www.ncwildlife.org/News-Archives/ribbon-cut-at-sneads-ferry-boating-access-areaScreenshot_20170209-101305.png

Level 8

Add the website, this helps with verification

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @NaomaD

The feature is already mapped as "Sneads Ferry Boating Access".  If that is incorrect, please edit the existing feature rather than adding a new one.

Basically, your addition was being denied due to it being a duplicate.  As there is too much information on the map to display it all, algorithms are used to choose what to display depending on the current user, options, search words, etc.  For that reason a search should always be made first to ensure the feature you want to add is not already on the map.

Please do not add any website that does not belong directly to the feature.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages