Emerson246's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Traffic Shown in Antigua and Barbuda

Does anyone know how to get google to begin showng traffic on one of the caribbean islands? Does it have to do with a critical mass of persons with location services and a Gmail account turned on? 

North America
2 comments
Level 3

Re: Traffic Shown in Antigua and Barbuda

I think it has more to do with whether the local news services supply traffic information. As far as I am aware traffic information is only available in big and medium sized cities and towns, since they are most likely to have local news stations (usually radio stations) that Google can tap into for that information. I know that in Germany (where I'm from) I won't get any traffic information if I'm in a small village or out in the countryside. However, as soon as I am in a larger town, that is covered by a local or regional news station, I start to get traffic information.

In Antigua and Barbuda (where I live), while there are several radio stations, only one, that I know of, offers, very occasionally, traffic news, only if there are problems in the capital city of St. John's. That only happens during carnival season. If there is an accident else where, that might, affect traffic, nope you won't hear about it. 

Connect Moderator

Re: Traffic Shown in Antigua and Barbuda

Does it have to do with a critical mass of persons with location services and a Gmail account turned on?  

Yes.

First traffic must be offered in that country, but once traffic is offered in a country it will only show on roads with enough data from other users having recently driven along it.  Even in a dense urban environment many side roads will not show data, it needs have enough people pass over it.

In addition you might get alerts that a road is closed, that there is an accident, etc.; that comes from users of Waze (which Google also owns) entering it their app and Google transferring it to Maps.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages