TysonK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Thousands of addresses pointing to my house.

I apologize in advance if this is not the proper place to post this.

I live in a rural area and the road I live on is split into two parts each with the exact same name; I live on one end of that road. Almost all of the addresses on this road for some reason are all pointing to my house at the end of the road. People are driving into my yard daily thinking this is someone else's property, even though the yard number is at the end of the driveway. I've had people drive into my yard past midnight looking for a party. It does not make my family feel safe.

The road is quite long, 20-30km. The address numbers go from 22000 to about 60000. I would prefer not to post my address publicly so I was wondering if there is a way I can get in contact with someone who could help me fix this issue. Adding every house number manually is a bit unrealistic and would take a very long time for me, I have already done that for a section of the road. I've already submitted a ticket/feedback of this issue on google maps, however that was a month ago and I have gotten no response back.

Thank you, and I apologize again if this is the wrong place to post this.

13 comments
Level 10

Re: Thousands of addresses pointing to my house.

Hi @TysonK Sorry to hear about your predicament. It might be easier if you go to the Google Maps Product Forum instead. Good luck.

Level 3

Thank you @WetCoastCanuck, I'll make a post there and see if it helps!

Level 8

@TysonK

I sincerely hope your problem gets fixed soon. Doesn't sound like fun. 
I fully trust that LG Team members reading this or moderators of the Maps product forum will escalate your issue to the appropriate department. Give it some more time for Google to sort it out. The job queue for Feedback can be more than a month and @Flash has told us in other posts on this forum that address markers can take a long time before they are changed.

Personally, if the inconvenience would get to an unacceptable level, I would contact the Google legal department [EDIT] <strike>to speed things up</strike>. Keep records of your communication, so you can make formal complaints if the response time becomes unacceptable. Perhaps @GusMoreira can help you?

Connect Moderator

The legal department of a large corporation is not a complaints department; their job is to deal with actual legal issues and they will become involved only if OP hires a lawyer and has them do expensive work for him.  They will ignore everything else.

There is also no way to make a "formal complaint", as having a free, precise map is not a right or obligation.

Which, by the way, is likely what a lawyer would pre-warn him about if he tried to hire one.

Working within the existing system is always the best path.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@Flash, neither of us are lawyers and we both have common sense. I was saying, be patient follow procedures with the added advice to keep records, as this could potentially lead to a situation where the OP needs to back up his claims when he decides to communicate and escalate his complaint after he decided/ confirmed he is being treated unfairly.

I also clearly stated that I trust this will not come this far, expecting Google to sort it timely and in a correct manner, and have given the OP some indication that it takes more than one month waiting, via the as you call it  (Google) "system".

Google's legal department has various procedures in place related to various stakeholders of Google products and does deal with stakeholders directly and not only with lawyers. I am not suggesting that the OP should be seeking a conflict situation, only that he should keep records.

Every company in most countries have the legal obligation to operate with care, diligence, and skill. This does not mean they are not allowed to make mistakes but does mean they need to respond to them in an acceptable way. The fact that a company provides a free product, does not exclude them from this responsibility. Words as unacceptable, which I chose carefully, are subjective and can be affected by public opinion, and industry standards. 

@TysonK, I apologize if I gave the wrong impression with my response. The Google's legal department is indeed not a complaints department, you do of course need to have a legal ground for your claims/ demands, which I am not here to judge.  I realize, re-reading my original reply, that stating "to speed things up" should be removed or at least rephrased as "move things along as a last resort".

As this is all rather premature and based on a negative scenario, let's get back to my original positive statement: I trust it will get sorted and hope for your sake that it happens sooner rather than later.

Best wishes, JeroenM

Connect Moderator

My previous position was at a fortune 500 tech company; I was the highest person you could talk to about your notebook computer.  I can assure you I do know what will and will not be dealt with by the legal department in such a company.  People that attempted to contact the legal department directly ended up talking to me instead.  Google will have a similar process; their lawyers are not there to provide free legal advice and responses will not come from them; but rather you would be directed back to a general customer support person.  We know from experience that the general customer support for Google does not forward you to specific product support, but rather will send you to these forums.  Legal departments respond to legal matters, not individual stakeholders that feel they might have a legal issue.  If you feel that, you need to get your own lawyer and have him figure out your options.

As you have said, it will not need to come to that; but as I have dealt for years with people that think contacting a legal department is an appropriate step I felt I should point out that it is not.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@Flash

I think we are talking on different levels here, but your point is made and appropriate.

The other day a Googler referred a Local Guide to a form available from Google's Legal department pages to have some of his photos removed that Google grabbed from his website. I have also seen forms under Google Legal where business owners can report reviews. I myself have been in touch with Google legal (or at least that was my impression) by phone to get permission to use a certain Google logo on my website and was given a reference number to my permission.

So from a certain perspective, you are right, but certain procedures seem to be handled by Google Legal or at least they appear so. It is also my impression that the Google Maps product team cares mostly about the functionality of the app and the accuracy of its data, where the legal pages with its forms, offer ways to communicate issues from other perspectives.

I am sure that the customer service will escalate a case when they feel this is appropriate in whatever way Google has organized its internal affairs. All I am saying, there is a portal (door) with web pages and forms under Google Legal available to non-lawyers.

Connect Moderator

Hi @TysonK you're right not to post the details here.  Given this is a mapping problem it would be good for @GusMoreira to have a look at. I imagine Gus will contact you privately.

Regards

Paul

Connect Moderator

@JeroenM Those forms may have been drafted by legal but I'm betting they go off to the Maps reviewers team where ever they live these days. I know the equivalent g+ forms head off to the Philippines.I don't know if Maps shares the same resources or not.