MainelyWeb's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

The problems of a small Maine town

I have been submitting corrections as well as images to Street View and Maps only to have Google's systems change the position and/or road name to something else. In some cases, locations in this town are placed in a completely different town miles away from the actual location.

I am sure that part of the problem is that this small town shares a zip code (postal code) with other towns, but the cases where they completely change a road name on my submissions from, for example, Bridgton Rd to Hardscrabble Rd, are hard to understand and even harder to get them to correct.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to get Google to manually review the town to correct these problems? I am willing to assist Google so that my clients have their locations properly placed and labeled.

Sweden, ME, USA
6 comments
Level 7

Re: The problems of a small Maine town

With regards to adding or correcting the name of a road where the road is already shown in Gmaps:

1.  Turn the location services for the camera app on your device on, so that the map coordinates saved with the pictures you take are saved in each picture.

2.  Take photo(s) of sign(s) that show the correct name of the road.

3.  Upload the photo(s) to a publicly-accessible folder on the web.  Copy the URL [web address] of that folder.

4.  Report the "wrong information" about the road to Google, using the "add a note" field to give Google the folder URL and filename(s) for the photo(s) that prove what you are telling them is correct.

Level 7

Thank you for the reply, however, Google has the name and location of the road correct in maps.

They just won't put anything on the road. They change the location and names directly in the corrections that I submit.

Connect Moderator

Hi @MainelyWeb

Thank you for posting in here. I am moving your post on Mapping Your World board, for the experts to go more in depth of your issue @Flash

Level 7

@ErmesT Thank you for moving the question to a more appropriate forum.

@ErmesT wrote:

Hi @MainelyWeb

Thank you for posting in here. I am moving your post on Mapping Your World board, for the experts to go more in depth of your issue @Flash

Level 7

I'll need details of what you want to add and the map coordinates where you want to add it to advise further.

Level 7

@sputnikjim To demonstrate that this is not a user (me) error, here is a page that is run by the State of Maine that demonstrates the exact problem that I am encountering: http://www.maine.gov/local/town2.php?t=Sweden

The Town Hall for the Town of Sweden, Maine is located at 147 Bridgton Road, Sweden, ME 04040. When you try to use that address in Google Maps or Street View, one of two things happen:

1. Google Maps incorrectly places the Sweden town hall in the Town of Harrison, Maine. See the map on http://www.maine.gov/local/town2.php?t=Sweden
  2. Street View changes the address from 147 Bridgton Road, Sweden, ME 04040 to 147 Hardscrabble Road, Sweden, ME 04009. Hardscrabble Road and Bridgton Road are different roads. Bridgton Road is also known as State Route 93.

Here is the actual location of the Sweden, Maine Town hall: 44.132758, -70.806878