JonasKL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

TEMPORARY CLOSURE

Hello @OSAMA @LucioV @HelloSamsonR

I have been having a difficulty in pointing out that some places in Google Maps are temporarily closed. I have seen several threads in the forum looking for a solution; but without success. 

I don't know of any plans of Google to add such feature on maps. And besides that if anyone of you might know a solution to this maybe you can share!

Thank you. 

@JeslynL @Corrie 

Regards

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Kenya
12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: TEMPORARY CLOSURE

Hello,

The rules for closures are that anything that is closed for two weeks or more should be marked as closed.  This would include permanent closures.  Should a closed feature reopen, there is an option to mark closed features as reopened.

As a note, it is not necessary to tag Googlers whenever you have a question.  There are many experts here in the forums that can answer most questions; which is one of the main purposes of this forum.  Google believes in a community approach to support; if they had intended to have Googlers answer each question then they would have a support request system instead of a forum.  If they did that it would probably take weeks to get each question answered.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hi @JonasKL Please can you clarify the words so I know the kind of answer to give you. Do you mean Permanently Closed or Temporarily Closed. For Permanently Closed places there is an option to mark such places as Permanently closed by suggesting and edit following the information in the top right corner of your screen and include a photo of the place giving reason why it is permanently closed. For temporarily closed there is no feature for that.

Level 9

Hello @JonasKL , am not face this issue before , I think @GusMoreira can help you 🙂

P.S: @Corrie is not on the local guides team we mention her as friend now 😉

Level 9

Hello @HelloSamsonR

Its a temporary closure. not a permanent one

Level 10

Okay @JonasKL No feature for that now. I haven't seen such. Just mark it as permanently Closed. If the business for that time is temporarily closed, then no one can know when it would be open again. Unless one comes across it again. Being said maybe in the future who knows that option would be available. Let's wait and see if such option would be available.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

The rules for closures are that anything that is closed for two weeks or more should be marked as closed.  This would include permanent closures.  Should a closed feature reopen, there is an option to mark closed features as reopened.

As a note, it is not necessary to tag Googlers whenever you have a question.  There are many experts here in the forums that can answer most questions; which is one of the main purposes of this forum.  Google believes in a community approach to support; if they had intended to have Googlers answer each question then they would have a support request system instead of a forum.  If they did that it would probably take weeks to get each question answered.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 9

Hello @Flash

Thank you for the valuable information. The main reason I tagged the Googlers is that this question has been raised severally in the forum. But no one seems to have a clue about how it can be done. That is why I went an extra mile to involve the Googlers, maybe they have an answer or they can point us in the right direction.

Connect Moderator

But no one seems to have a clue about how it can be done. That is why I went an extra mile to involve the Googlers, maybe they have an answer or they can point us in the right direction.

I have already explained above how such closures are to be handled, as we have explained on the other threads also.  There is no other option, the rules of the map are to use the Closed designation on places that are closed for more than 2 weeks.

If you would like to propose a seasonal or temporarily closed feature to be added then you should make a post in Feedback section or via Feedback within Maps; but I will let you know that this has already been proposed many times.

Level 9

And why nobody cares about it. I mean, it make no sense, if it's temporary closed, it is NOT permanently closed. They are different things. Marking as closed a business that is only seasonally closed could badly affect it and also give wrong information to people. That is the point.

I suppose you will give me a similar answer talking about temporary shops and changing in the opening hours in different season. Am i right?

Connect Moderator

@Fabio_Mologni wrote:

Marking as closed a business that is only seasonally closed could badly affect it and also give wrong information to people.

Leaving a business open when it is in fact closed gives wrong information to people.  People will plan their visit and show up to find locked doors.  That will give them a negative experience in regards to the business and in regards to trusting Maps.  Neither the business nor Google wants a negative experience.  It is something that has happened to myself, to friends, and to many people that have then complained in the relevant forums.

Maps is designed to benefit the end user, not the businesses.  If we can help both that's great, but we should never give false information about a business just to help promote them to the end users; we are creating the map for end users like ourselves to be able to get relevant and correct information.

If a business wants to be marked temporarily closed instead of permanently closed in the off season they can sign up for GMB and ask support for that option.

As for your feeling that no one cares about this, the fact that it is constantly discussed disagrees with your point of view.