MWJones's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Suggest an Edit - Bug?

Recently there have been some edits that have been perplexing. I try to correct the edit, and the edit does not get corrected, or the address is malformed in the place of interest. Could @GusMoreira or someone else from the Google team take this as a bug report?

Here's some examples:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/North+Forest+Office+Space/@33.1620385,-96.8477046,18z/data=!4m5!3m...

I tried adding the suite number to the address (I don't have my notes in front of me at the moment to recall what the suite number was), the resulting edit as submitted was:

North Forest.PNG

So much to say that after sitting in review since April, it finally was "Not Applied" a few days ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Blue+Parking/@33.1088255,-96.8282425,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb29...

When I first added it, the address gained a comma between the building number and street (which I did not add):

Blue Park New.PNG

Upon noting the error, I submitted an edit to correct:

Blue Park Rev.PNG

As you can see, despite my attempt to remove the stray comma, the submitted edit (still pending as of this writing) reflects no change.

And the final example I will present today - a Canadian friend was trying to fix this and had no luck, so he asked me to look at it:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Colour+Explosions+Decorating+Centre/@43.8463784,-79.5589367,17z/da...

This business has the street name repeated twice:

Colour Explosions.PNG

And as you can see, despite my attempt to remove the duplicate street name, it still is there. This was submitted earlier today, and is pending at this point (reportedly there are other businesses in this immediate area that have the same problem).

I hope this is enough information to give the Maps team a lead on the bug, and can quash it quickly.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Suggest an Edit - Bug?

Hello @MWJones, thank you for the feedback. Please take a look at our post that explains why your edit may not be approved.

Level 10

@MWJones I also notice the problem at my location too (also north of 49th), there is a street called Kingsway and Google lists a diner there as Kings Way. I tried to change it, it got accepted by it is still Kings Way. Honestly, I have given up. I pointed out the error, if Google doesn't want to change, well that's too bad.

Level 10

Thanks for the response @AGarner, I am well aware of the post you mentioned. The point of this post was to point out that the current Maps (web) editing interface is inserting errors that it shouldn't be, resulting in edits being denied.

Denied/Not Applied edits are the least of my worries, as I racked up many of them in the years I worked with Map Maker. My worry (as should anyone who contributes here should be) is bad information being published on Google Maps.

Former Google Contributor

@MWJones thanks for your feedback and clarification, we will look into it.

Level 8

@MWJones

@WetCoastCanuck

@AGarner

Hey there,

I've seen a lot of this kind of issues been caused be the fact, that the businesses were claimed / managed via Google My Business.
Requests regarding these locations take quiet a long time. I could imagine that this is because there is a human beeing involved in the check or even interaction with the owner via Google My Business.
I made the experience, that involving more guides to request the same change helps to speed up things.

Best regards

Level 10

@Piehti wrote:

@MWJones

@WetCoastCanuck

@AGarner

I've seen a lot of this kind of issues been caused be the fact, that the businesses were claimed / managed via Google My Business.
Requests regarding these locations take quiet a long time. I could imagine that this is because there is a human beeing involved in the check or even interaction with the owner via Google My Business.
I made the experience, that involving more guides to request the same change helps to speed up things.

I took that into consideration before filing this report. The second place I listed, "Blue Parking", was one that I created, and the parking garage is owned by the local Government. It is clearly not claimed.

Also, based on past experience dealing with claimed Google My Business listings, the fact that they are claimed has no bearing on how long it is to review. The system can decide to publish immediately, hold for peer review (aka "Check the facts") or hold for Google review. In this case, I suspect all three examples went into hold for Google review because the input could not be validated.

Once a listing is approved and published a business owner can see the edits on their Google My Business dashboard and then revert it, but as far as I know, they can't stop a pending edit.