DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Strange category in Google maps

Dear Team,

When I was trying to edit the category of a restaurant & bar in Hyderabad, India, I found this strange category name. How can a Bar Restaurant also be a Furniture shop ?

Wrong category option in the listWrong category option in the list

It should only be 'Bar Restaurant'. 

Another thing which I noticed is, in Hyderabad India there is new Metro train routes coming up. Please add a category of 'Metro Station'. Some of the metro train stations are marked ridiculously as 'Railway ticket services' etc.

Request the Maps team to review the full list of categories and help us make effective contributions. Thank you.

Hyderabad, Telangana, India
9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Strange category in Google maps

Hi @DanielTh

That category is for a furniture shop that sells / makes furniture for bars and restaurants. It should be a valid business. 

Now as for the lack of the "Bar and Restaurant" category; you may be correct that it's needed - although many others are also badly needed and Google does not seem to be too busy at reorganizing and updating the category base at the moment. 

If I were you, I'd select "Restaurant". Later, there will be questions about the place and there will be one like "Is there a bar here?" (or similar). If people keep answering "yes", GMaps will most probably bring these places into the results when someone is looking for a Bar (or at least this is the only reason I see for these questions 🙂

View solution in original post

Level 9

Hey @DanielTh

@Even I have found similar instances when I was trying to edit the restaurants. Seems there is no option of bar and restaurant 

No bar & restaurantNo bar & restaurant

It's good to be posted here. I didn't do that. 

Good initiation @DanielTh

Level 9

@DanielTh Nice information you have collect my dear. 

Well I'm inviting here our Senior Google Moderator @GusMoreira for more info. 

Happy mapping. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

@LeninBabu & @deepakjhic , I'm strongly of the opinion that the Maps team should review the category options thoroughly. This will hasten the process of raising an 'edit' request.

Level 9

Hey guys 

is this because of the name Bar itself is having food and drink? 

As there is wine shop available for only take away for drinks. 

Check out hereIMG_3149.PNG

As the bar means probably Bar and Restaurant correct me if I am wrong.  

Level 10
Solution

Hi @DanielTh

That category is for a furniture shop that sells / makes furniture for bars and restaurants. It should be a valid business. 

Now as for the lack of the "Bar and Restaurant" category; you may be correct that it's needed - although many others are also badly needed and Google does not seem to be too busy at reorganizing and updating the category base at the moment. 

If I were you, I'd select "Restaurant". Later, there will be questions about the place and there will be one like "Is there a bar here?" (or similar). If people keep answering "yes", GMaps will most probably bring these places into the results when someone is looking for a Bar (or at least this is the only reason I see for these questions 🙂

Level 3

Nice topic

Level 9

seems like the category in question should be updated to 
"Restaurant Furniture Shop" for understand-ability and length reasons

Bar and Resteraunt Furniture Shop is confusing and long

Connect Moderator

It should only be 'Bar Restaurant'. 

That is not an appropriate category because the categories of "Bar" and "Restaurant" already exist.

Places can have more than one category, and the correct way to handle a place which has both a full bar and full restaurant would be to add both categories.  This was possible in Map Maker, but unfortunately all we can do for now in Maps is see and edit the primary category.  The owner, however, can work with the multiple categories via Google My Business.  Hopefully we will get the ability to see and edit all the categories within Maps soon.

Another thing which I noticed is, in Hyderabad India there is new Metro train routes coming up. Please add a category of 'Metro Station'. Some of the metro train stations are marked ridiculously as 'Railway ticket services' etc.

The transit layer is not editable by the public, but rather it is locked down and Google allows transit authorities to partner with Google and edit the transit for which they are responsible.

If you see inappropriate features such as someone adding a feature that is not permitted by using an incorrect category then you should delete that feature as "Does not exist".  The metro stations you mention that have been added by using the wrong category obviously were not added via the transit layer and should be deleted.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Haha! That is funny, but it's for a furniture store that sells bar furniture.