ShafiulB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Spamming on Polwel Supermarket in Dhaka

Again, this is likely not a spam attempt at all.  This appears to be a bad merge.

Attempting to edit bad merges can just entangle them more and make the untangling take longer.  Everyone, please stop trying to edit it.  Let Google fix it.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ShafiulB

While many Local Guides are eager to edit or fix inconsistencies on the map, it is unlikely that we (Google Maps user) are going to have exactly the same methodology. In a hypothetical situation, different persons may be adding the same place in a slightly different way on the map (different capitalization/adding unnecessary items) - this creates bad data and the need to merge. This isn't necessarily spam but rather a lot of inconsistencies being added on top of even more inconsistencies. Not everybody has read Google Maps Contributed Content policy and maybe even good intentions have come across as spammy.

You all already know the way to merge - Choose one of the places --> Suggest the edit --> Click "Place is permanently closed or has never existed" --> "Duplicate" and these items will be delivered to an appropriate team for investigation but the more reports/noise that comes in, the longer that process may actually take. I can work to try to escalate this issue for you but I would soften on the idea that every edit is a spam attack unless you can definitively prove this is the case. 

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

@Flash Thank you, this gives me a bit more of an understanding, I know guys work hard in this area and do an amazing job, something myself would dream to learn thank you and kind regards @DavidTito

Level 8

@ShafiulB @OmarBD I do understand this Contexted that you have addressed here, But I don't understand  why I am not getting a reply from either of them as you I can see 

My expression is beginning ignored, don't know why? hmmm

@ShafiulB wrote:

@Flash wrote:

Contrast that with if there was POI A and POI B, and the owner of POI A wanted to hijack POI B because it was better known, there would now be two POI A's, one with the info of  POI A and one with the info of POI 

You said right and this example means a complete spamming...!

Connect Moderator

@DavidTito wrote:

@ShafiulB @OmarBD I do understand this Contexted that you have addressed here, But I don't understand  why I am not getting a reply from either of them as you I can see 

My expression is beginning ignored, don't know why? hmmm

@ShafiulB wrote:

@Flash wrote:

Contrast that with if there was POI A and POI B, and the owner of POI A wanted to hijack POI B because it was better known, there would now be two POI A's, one with the info of  POI A and one with the info of POI 

You said right and this example means a complete spamming...!

Dear bro @DavidTito . It is not about ignoring !! You did well and i appreciate your opinions. Keep helping bro. @BruceDM @Flash are said here that they are escalating this problem and it is not a spamming activity, it is only may be a bad merge.

@OmarBD @Naiem Thanks you all for these beautiful reply...

Happy Guiding !!! 

Level 8

Hi @BruceDM,

Thank you for your explanation. Besides explaining how to initiate a "Merge" on Maps, could you please clarify how to properly report an "accidental merge"?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards,

JeroenM

Hi @JeroenM - The phrase "accidental merge" may be something that was coined through discussions by members of the mapping community. There is still only one singular way to report any type of merges and those will be reviewed for accuracy and legitimacy by the internal teams that work on mapping issues.

Level 8

hola @BruceDM

Ya que lei, que trataria de de acercarse a este tema, creo que deberian reconocer a los local guides de confianza, por lo antes citado, duplicados del lugar, sin completar los datos por 15 puntos sabiendo que nos dan sugerengias o avisan que ya existe, un monumento, ya relevado, aparece con los datos y fotos de su pais de origen y escrito en ese idioma, que pertenece a otro continente.

Gracias

Saludos Cordiales

LuaPL.

LuaPL
Level 8

@ShafiulB That's good news least now if I see something like this similar I know how to respond, I can never learn too Much about Google Maps thank you @Flash @BruceDM @JeroenM if there's anything you would like me to look out for I would love to know thanks, everyone, most kindlyElizabeth Quay Perth WorldWide PhotoWalk #ShowCaseYourCityElizabeth Quay Perth WorldWide PhotoWalk #ShowCaseYourCity

@LuaPL - Thank you for your suggestions.  Recognizing Local Guide trust is an idea that has been discussed in the past. At this time one's Local Guides level has no bearing on the approval of any of your edits and because there are still many persons that abuse the Local Guides points system, having trust based on the Level is still an imperfect solution. The other smaller suggestions are items I can share as feedback for future updates.