aeguy63's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Re: So who is moderating these new road suggestions?

@sputnikjim, last week two of them did get approved, and an additional one yesterday. I'm not sure if there is any rhyme or reason to this. 

Level 7

I hear ya.  I had a bunch that have been pending for a while get approved recently. Maybe there's some explanation for whether thats how the alogrithms work or its human processing, but Ive not figured that out or read a credible theory.

Level 7

My main strategy:

I look for the roads I want to add in Street View, the GM Satellite View, and the Google Earth View.  Whichever gives me the clearest and most complete info about the road I want added is what I link to in my add road feedback.

Level 5

You know something funny, I found a map more dated and with 20,000 more issues than google maps... The dreaded Apple Maps on the iPhone. They have roads that haven't existed in 20 years in my town #facepalm . Try reporting them, they don't review them at all LOL

Level 7

Yeah, I know nobody who uses them.  Also, whatever it is that most car Nav systems are using, Garmin/Here or something else.  I have had several people say their GPS sent them down the wrong road to our house.  The road to me hasnt changed in at least five years!

Level 8

Hi @aeguy63, have you tried reporting the road using the "Send Feedback" link and then "Report missing road"? Coz when i reported the map was updated with the roads within one day.

road report.png

Level 6

@sputnikjim wrote:

I have recently had good success with getting roads & intersections between road segments -- very important BTW for automated navigation -- added in Brunswick County, NC.

The keys to success seem to be:

1.  Ask for just one set of changes at a time.  By set, Im referring to a single new road plus the intersections that tie it to roads on either end, if appropriate.  I suppose if the road were one-way, or multi-lane, or unpaved, I would mention that also.  Still, stick to one road per comment.
2.  If there is a Google Earth/satellite view that shows the road you want to add, include a link to that view, if possible.  
3.  Include links to references that serve as evidence/proof that what you are saying is true.
4.  Try to avoid words that might be difficult for a foreigner to understand correctly and don't plead with them to make the changes.

Hi @sputnikjim great hints 

By 'ask for one set at a time', I think you mean either of the following per map edit feedback?

1. Name of road 

2. Name road not drawn properly 

3. Missing road segment 

My community has alot of 'unnamed roads'

Level 5

In Beaufort County, South Carolina the growth has been exponential and nearly weekly, new homes and developments are being approved and roads going in... I've still had great difficulty getting things approved. Often times its about 60 days from what I can tell. Interesting point from the contributor above, maybe going forward I'll do one subdivision at a time.

Level 7

Matt, do you work in the county GIS office?

Level 5

I have two jobs, one is a firefighter and we always get email blasts each week with new roads. My second job is a Assistant to the Town Clerk for a municipality and with that I do some light work with gis. Morale of the story I'm always on the GIS website daily