aeguy63's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

So who is moderating these new road suggestions?

Good Afternoon all!

I've been tediously working on some much needed road additions in my town of Bluffton, South Carolina. The development is basically been continuing unchecked and new neighborhoods are popping up each month. The roads are viewable on the Satellite image but have not been added to the actual map. I've reported these on the map with our new "editing feature" and they are not being looked at or approved, just laying in pending. I'm a firefighter and we utilize Google Maps to get to emergency scenes and some of these new roads that have houses on it do not show up at all. Any ideas on how I can fast track this? I've attached the road name and city state to the post.

Thanks in advance

Hulston Landing Road, Bluffton, SC, United States
22 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Level 9
Solution

Re: So who is moderating these new road suggestions?

@MatthewG wrote:

Any ideas on how I can fast track this?

There is no way to fast track

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9
Solution

@MatthewG wrote:

Any ideas on how I can fast track this?

There is no way to fast track

Level 7

Greetings from Brunswick County, NC, where we are also experiencing rapid development of new neighborhoods.

What 'fast-tracking' means to me is that for some reason or set of reasons a change would be moved to the head of the queue.  I agree that its probably not a good idea for Google to make this a part of their approval process.

What I do think would help both the users and Team Google work these changes, is if we could have some tips, pointers, suggestions, etc on what supporting information we could provide that would make our change more likely to be approved.  Recall that the data we provide to have a new road added [Send Feedback > Report missing road] is:

1. One point [latitude & longitude] on the new road.
2. Name of road
3. A "note"

What can we put in this note that would be helpful to Google's approval process?  What would probably not help?

Level 9
Level 9

@JimB wrote:

What would probably not help?

Including a link to another map is the main thing that would not help. Mappers often do this thinking it's the perfect evidence, but the fact that it's likely to be another organisation's copyright material usually means it gets ignored and the edit denied

Level 7

Is this an example of a good way to suggest the addition of a new road to help the Googlers reach an approve decision?

1. Send feedback > Report a missing road, and I click on a point that is on the road to be added, 
2. I enter the road name "Abbington Oaks Way"
3. I enter as the note this URL, which shows the road I want added in a satellite view in Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9557152,-78.0566181,365m/data=!3m1!1e3

Level 7

I have recently had good success with getting roads & intersections between road segments -- very important BTW for automated navigation -- added in Brunswick County, NC.

The keys to success seem to be:

1.  Ask for just one set of changes at a time.  By set, Im referring to a single new road plus the intersections that tie it to roads on either end, if appropriate.  I suppose if the road were one-way, or multi-lane, or unpaved, I would mention that also.  Still, stick to one road per comment.
2.  If there is a Google Earth/satellite view that shows the road you want to add, include a link to that view, if possible.  
3.  Include links to references that serve as evidence/proof that what you are saying is true.
4.  Try to avoid words that might be difficult for a foreigner to understand correctly and don't plead with them to make the changes.

Level 7

@aeguy63,  Do me a favor,  give me the name of a new street not on Google Maps that you are concerned about that was completed no later than last summer, and which has an intersection with an older street that is on Google Maps.  Also the name of the town where this is.  I want to see if I can find it on a different view and see if Google will add it for me.

Level 4

@sputnikjim Any chance you could do the same for me? 
Road name: Koeberg Close" which is linked to Koeberg road

Link on GMaps: https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.8057948,18.5190365,18.28z

Link on GEarth: https://earth.google.com/web/@-33.80598872,18.5191829,14.74343693a,435.03463978d,35y,0h,0t,0r

When switching to Satellite view on the android app, I can see the road clearly with houses etc but on the web version and Google earth, it's an image of probably early 2015 before building commenced.

I've been trying since mid 2016 to get the road mapped and eventually someone added the road name but on a walkway surrounding the road...

@JimB wrote:

@aeguy63,  Do me a favor,  give me the name of a new street not on Google Maps that you are concerned about that was completed no later than last summer, and which has an intersection with an older street that is on Google Maps.  Also the name of the town where this is.  I want to see if I can find it on a different view and see if Google will add it for me.

Level 7

@aeguy63, Are you getting any more of your requests to add new roads approved?

Level 10

Thanks for your efforts.

@aeguy63

@sputnikjim

@JudeS

@Pea