MWJones's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Searching for one business gets another

So there's been a frequent back and forth with several maps users where they keep marking a business as open (I'm seeing this in Map Maker), despite it being closed for more than a year, and the replacement business being listed as open as well. When I perform a search for the replacement business "AMC Burleson 14", the correct listing will show in the drop down, but the listing that auto completes is "Regal Cinemas Burleson Movies 14" - which is now closed: Thus, confused users keep trying to re-open it.

Capture051116.JPG

Can anyone suggest what the means of getting the search results corrected so that the open business takes precedence over the closed one? I drove out to the location today (just over an hour each way from where I live) to verify which is correct (see the image I uploaded to Maps here), and can say that it is very much an AMC Theater and not Regal Cinemas.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
AMC Burleson 14, West Rendon Crowley Road, Burleson, TX, United States
4 comments
Level 8

Re: Searching for one business gets another

Hi @MWJones,

I notice several types of business are more likely to have the "re-open" issue, as visitor do not care too much about the name of the business:

1.  Cinema

2.  Carpark

As long as they are at the correct location, Name of the Business matters less.

May I know what is the meaning of " Burleson 14"?  Is that a location descriptor?  Is people search for Burleson 14 more than the Cinema Name?

When I encounter this type of "re-open" war, I will just mark the closed as closed.  It will quiet down in about 3 to 5 edits for my cases.

I do not know better methods to handle this.

Level 10

@YK1001 Burleson is the name of a city just South of Fort Worth, Texas where this cinema theater is located. And the 14 represents how many cinema screens this facility has. When AMC Theaters took over the facility, they obviously didn't change the number of screens, but did do extensive remodel otherwise.

This re-open "war" has been ongoing for several months. Usually once or twice a week, but in the last few days has increased to five or six times a day. That is why I bring it up here - there clearly appears to be an issue with search that is returning the closed listing instead of the open listing, even when searching for the theater by the new name exactly.

I've had other cases, and yes, they usually calm down (it typically happens right after the name changes, and the new name has not risen in the ranks yet to unseat the old name) - although I still get them on occasion. This is the opposite, it's been fairly mundane volumes, but now has accelerated. 

Level 8

Hi @MWJones,

Inside the Mapmaker UI, I encountered some places that is Locked to prevent editing.

I don't know if there is an established channel to request for this, but I consider this cinema POI is a perfect case to have it locked down for limited time - say two weeks - to allow information to settle and Search Indexes to refresh.

Level 10

@YK1001 Locking of listings used to be a means of securing frequently spammed listings (or high profile listings) in the days prior to edits being suggested via Maps. Since that time, it is used less, but high profile listings are still locked.

It is something being discussed among the Regional Leads about locking edits from Maps for up to 90 days, while retaining the ability to edit the feature within Map Maker (something the Regional Leads themselves could activate when something is being spammed from Maps). Unfortunately, there's no commitment or timeline if such a feature can or will be implemented.