RPaulR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

School in my region was the victim of vandalism

i was reveiwing pending edits in my region on google maps and i stumbled on a spam removal. the edit looked correct at first glance the feature had a very offensive name.

in actuallity the feature was that of a highschool

i attempted to fix the name a couple times but evidently i did not have enough trust to autopublish the edit.

i tried to put the name to 

Father Michael Goetz Secondary School but to be honest regardless of the final naming the priority must be to get rid of the offensive phrase

https://goo.gl/maps/Sf1XY3c9zkM2

i assume as this is a publicly funded institution that there is no expectation of privacy

regardless the current name makes this a bit urgent

thanks

5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: School in my region was the victim of vandalism

@RPaulR @PaulPavlinovich Hi both, this issue has been quickly resolved. Thank you again for flagging and keeping Maps conducive for all. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hi @RPaulR thanks for reporting this issue. I've escalated it to the Googlers.

Regards Paul

Thanks for reporting, @RPaulR. The team is working towards a fix at the moment. We appreciate your patience. Thank you. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Solution

@RPaulR @PaulPavlinovich Hi both, this issue has been quickly resolved. Thank you again for flagging and keeping Maps conducive for all. 

Connect Moderator

Yay @JeslynL thanks for fixing. 

Level 9

@PaulPavlinovich

@JeslynL

thanks.

kinda concerned that spam deletion now contains text that suggests it is openly to be used for offensive listings.

problem is most offensive listings are hijacked or otherwise name edited. most were previously ok at one point.

additionally im going to contact an administrator at the school and make sure they claim it and manage the listing to prevent further vandalism.

less experienced and or newer local guides would have supported a deletion of this listing in the review process due to the bad explainer when editing on maps.

very few experienced mappers in canada even bother with reviewing the existance Q in my metro of canada (literally the densist poulation zone in the country).

most users who contribute have basicly no prior mapping knowledge that predates the closing of mapmaker

this makes them more likely to publish bad edits or train the algorithyms wrong depending on what you beleive. at least i think.

heck there is a phone number edit i purposely avoided moderating cause i know the owner and i wanted him to claim and manage his listing from GMB (i believe his listing should be service area with a hidden address). i think this was resolved though.

stayed pending for at least 8 months. i am very forgetful sometimes.