SamuelCalifornia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Pot Bar and restaurant

I don't know why it is called "Pot" but (apparently) it is not a Marijuana place.

Many years ago I worked across the street from this location (at Carte Blanche if you know what that was) and I was looking at the old neighborhood. I noticed the following:

It is not clear whether they are different. The hours are very different. The web site and phone numbers are the same but there are separate pages within the web site. The menus are different.

Does Google Maps not support businesses like this that have differences and similarities such as this? If so then it seems that the two must be listed as separate. It is a little confusing since at first look the locations appear to be duplicates.

Los Angeles, CA, United States
6 comments
Level 8

Re: Pot Bar and restaurant

Hi @SamuelCalifornia,

Just check, both of your links now points to the same business now.  So it seems like duplicates are already merged to me.

Level 9
Level 9

@SamuelCalifornia You used the same link both times, hence SampsonF thought they'd been merged. The two different live listings are:

POT https://goo.gl/maps/dad1qWkw1uz

Pot Lobby Bar https://goo.gl/maps/BA2mKsTxXvF2

My guess is these aren't distinct enough to be separate POIs. You sometimes see a kinda similar situation where a hotel has a listing and a bar in the hotel has a listing, but usually where the bar has a different phone number.

Btw you should probably ask questions like this in the Mapping Your World board as that's where the mapping experts will be. Maybe @YK1001 will move this?

Level 8

Hi @Pea,

Good Catch!  Moved.

@SamuelCalifornia, my persoal impression is restaurants within the same Hotel worth having their own listing in Maps.

Of course, as PhilipF said, the Mapping Experts here can give you more concrete answers.

Level 4
Level 4

Ate there. Would consider them all separate entities, even if it's a pain to tag. There's also another restaurant on the 2nd floor greenhouse called Commissary. And the ground floor Cafe is also part of the POT/Line Hotel family. 

The restaurant is somewhat partitioned off from the swanky lobby bar, but I don't drink so I can't give you specifics. I guess it's meant to for people to grab a cocktail whilst waiting for a table, drink more, then crash upstairs in one of the hotel rooms or rooftop pool bar. The views are amazing.

Level 6

Thank you for catching the mistake.

This one is different from most. The names are confusingly similar, sometimes people post duplicates with a name that is even more different than these are. The address is the same and so is the phone number. The web site is the same; the different entries just have different pages within the same domain. The only real difference is the hours. I don't know if they are physically connected but "CL" I think indicates they are.

CL, if they don't serve alcohol in the restaurant then that explains why they are separate businesses. They might have lost their liquor licenses for the café or something like that.

Connect Moderator

If there is just one phone number then the rules of the map considers them as duplicates.

Of course one shouldn't just assume that what is on the map is correct; before marking them as duplicates the website should be checked to see if they have different numbers.

I could not locate different numbers, and without different numbers to make them distinct from each then with your description of the bar basically being a lounge for the restaurant then they should be merged.

The restaurant on the upper floor would qualify for it's own listing due to the separation between the two.  When it doesn't have a separate phone number then there has to be other definite forms of separation.

I don't know why it is called "Pot" but (apparently) it is not a Marijuana place.

Then why is the website background a photo of a guy smoking a giant fattie?  LOL

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages