Pea's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9
Level 9

Police Station Category

I was scrolling across the map of London and noticed a local police station had an icon of a mortarboard (graduation cap) indicating it was an educational establishment. Checking the listing https://goo.gl/maps/uLbQa1vbxfN2 showed that it was categorised as Police Academy as were most, but not all, other London police stations. I then tried to edit it to become Police Station but the options in Maps were:

Police Academy

Police Supply Shop

Carabinieri Police

Chief of Police Department

Civil Police

Federal Police

Guardia Di Finanza Police

State Police

Traffic Police Station

Lots of category options (especially for a London branch of an Italian police service) but not the one thing I wanted, simply: Police Station. This option is available in Map Maker. Can we get the categories changed and Police Station added?

London, United Kingdom
13 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Police Station Category

Reporting things via multiple different methods is both inefficient and also prone to some reports being lost when it has to be relayed to the correct spot.  It is better instead to have everyone use only the correct spot.  Even in the Map Maker forum we would not take an issue report in the forum if there is a specific way to report the issue; but would instead direct you there.

With that said, Google is aware of the discrepancy in category lists between products and is making updating them part of their plans when moving editing to Maps.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 8

Try to send a feedback with the Google Maps app.

Level 9
Level 9

Thanks for your reply, though one wonders what is the point of this forum if the best way to report a problem with Local Guide editing is via the Map app. Map Maker is closing and contributors there are being encouraged to come here. Personally I do all my editing via the desktop platform not on a phone

Connect Moderator
Solution

Reporting things via multiple different methods is both inefficient and also prone to some reports being lost when it has to be relayed to the correct spot.  It is better instead to have everyone use only the correct spot.  Even in the Map Maker forum we would not take an issue report in the forum if there is a specific way to report the issue; but would instead direct you there.

With that said, Google is aware of the discrepancy in category lists between products and is making updating them part of their plans when moving editing to Maps.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 9
Level 9

Reporting duplication is definitely inefficient. On that theme, do you have a view on how this LG Mapping forum and the Google Maps Help Forum will co-exist in the future? There seems to be much overlap and it's not clear to me where the line is drawn between the two.

Level 8

Hi @Pea,

I guess Maps help forum is more focus on how to use Data already in Maps, while Mapping your World will be successor of Mapmaker Forum, which is more focused on adding / editing Data for Maps.

Level 7

Hey there,

I'm in Pakistan not in the London I'm also getting this problem and when i was in Dubai i was also having the same problem in UAE

Muhammad Hamza Butt
Level 1

@Flashwrote:

Level 6

Police Station Category

It's been two years since this was first posted. The non-solution given by someone called "Flash" is supremely unhelpful - it reads "Google is aware of the discrepancy in category lists between products and is making updating them part of their plans when moving editing to Maps.". 

There is still no "Police Station" category for UK police stations. By what date will this be fixed?

Connect Moderator

Hello @TheCavalry,

As you are continuing an already existing topic, I will merge your thread into the existing one so that we can keep the topic in one place.

At the time the thread was started, categories were undergoing a review.  One of the results of the review was that some places, like like police and fire stations, may not be available for public editing because wrong information (provided by mistake or by spammers) could create a life-threatening situation.  Edits to such places will have to be made directly by Google themselves.  If you share such information I can escalate it to be updated.