KahaleI's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Place is temporarily closed and is expected to open on a certain date?

How do I show that a place is temporarily closed and is expected to open on a certain date?

The place in question is David's Yarn in Oklahoma City, USA: https://goo.gl/maps/7j7ShtKZVLx

They have a sign up on their door (see below). 

They should be open before we solve this, but I have come across othe businesses that close for renovations. 

IMAG8054.jpg

David's Yarn, North Pennsylvania Avenue, Edmond, OK, United States
12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Place is temporarily closed and is expected to open on a certain date?

Hi @KahaleI thanks for helping keep the Maps fresh and up to date for everyone 🙂

The business owner can use Google My Business to set temporary closure times/hours if they have claimed their listing.

For mappers like you and me, we just have to mark the place as closed. We can either go back and mark it as open when it reopens, or hope someone else does. We know this is less than ideal and have passed the request for more options along to the Maps team. 

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

There's already a discussion in the following thread. Reading the replies might you some ideas on how to approach the issue:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Review-Options-on-Google-Maps/m-p/4779#U477...

Level 4

Interesting issue, hopefuly google comes up with a solution to that one.

If the business is claimed, they may be able to mark themselves as temporarily closed as shown in this thread: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/How-do-I-set-a-location-to-temp...

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi @KahaleI thanks for helping keep the Maps fresh and up to date for everyone 🙂

The business owner can use Google My Business to set temporary closure times/hours if they have claimed their listing.

For mappers like you and me, we just have to mark the place as closed. We can either go back and mark it as open when it reopens, or hope someone else does. We know this is less than ideal and have passed the request for more options along to the Maps team. 

Level 8

When the shop is re-opened, any of the following may happen:

1.  Re-open with the same Business Name doing same Business

2.  Re-open with the same Business Name doing different Business

3.  Re-open with different Business name

4.  Do not re-open at all (having a To Lease / On Sale sign, may be)

As am outsider, I will only mark it as close when seeing it is closed.  When I came back to this place, I will:

Case 1.  Mark it as reopen, cross check Business Hours, etc.

Case 2.  Mark it as reopen, update the Category, Business Hours, etc.

Case 3.  Add a new business

4.  Do nothing

For Case 1 and 2, if it is small shop, the actual Owner might changed already.  Thus Phone Numbers, Website might got changed as well.

Just my two cents.

Connect Moderator

Sampson is correct, if the ownership changes and they also change the name then the old business should remain closed and a new listing should be created.

Aslo of note, the rules for when to close a place are if they place will be closed for two or more weeks.  So yes, you would not close this place due to the opening date being in just a few days.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 3

When marking a business that is temporarily closed which radio button should be selected as the reason for closure? "Permanently Closed"?

Connect Moderator

Yes, that is the correct option.  The "permanently" is to distinguish it from just being closed for the night.  When the business reopens you can reverse the "permanently closed".

The rule is that it should be marked as permanently closed if the closure will be two weeks or more.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

I have come across the same situation. And the owner hasn't claimed the business as her own. It is such a pity there isn't a "temporarily closed" option. I hope I remember to mark it as open again next month. Is there any chance the place will be removed permanently? I'd hate so see that happen. The next time I visit the café I will ask the owner to claim it. 🙂 

Level 10

Good question, thanks for inquiring, and keep up the awesome work.