RonneBD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Place add problem

For long time i didn't write anything for mm personal reasons. Recently I have found a problem with adding new place.there is an option name house or apartment and after I press the option an error massage come like given.

@Briggs , @OSAMA@ErmesT@LucioV@Kamalhasnainee@ProfArunCM

Error massageError massage

New optionsNew options

Dhaka Division, Bangladesh
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Place add problem

Have you been able to add places in the past @RonneBD I've never seen that popup that you're getting. Can you please describe your workflow - it looks like you're doing it from Uncover Missing Info. If you open the Map normally and use Add a missing place from the main menu what happens then?

I'm going to move this to the Mapping forum to get better answers.

Regards Paul

Level 9

Thanks for asking me with quick response. I have add too many places already as I am a level 8 LG.

In Bangladesh more than a month ago we get only add business place.

The apartment house option came recently and didn't work from beginning.

Even there are too many options comes when I do travel india and disappeared when I have returned back my country.

Connect Moderator

Hello,

The "House or Apartment" option is a new option being introduced to let people create new address markers, something that was available in Map Maker but has not been available in Maps until now.  The purpose is to add just an street address, and thus is only helpful in areas where each property gets a unique street number or other idenifier.  No personal or business information should be included.

During its introduction it is available only in the Android app.  It was initially only in three countries, but that has just been expanded to more countries.  It appears that the expansion now makes the option appear for every country, and then the error message lets you know if you are attempting to use it in a country where it is not yet supported.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Flash is there an announcement post someplace we can point Local Guides who ask about this new feature and what it is for?

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Hi @PaulPavlinovich,

At this point it has just been passed on to the public via the Top Contributors and Rising Stars.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

Cool, it's great that at least the TC and RS have been informed but I always wish they wouldn't work that way, once something goes public it would be best to have help articles so that the outcome can be made consistent otherwise we fall into those uncomfortable patches where people thinking they are doing the right thing misuse a new feature and cause unanticipated problems. Please pass that feedback in @Flash if you wouldn't mind.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

This is how things have worked for years across most Google products; many things are not in the help files but rather come from Googlers or the TCs.  Major items do eventually make it to documentation; but documentation takes time to be written, approved, etc.  Other things will not make it as the help files become useless and ignored if they become overcrowded.

Connect Moderator

Yes I know this is how it's worked for years @Flash I'm calling out for change.

Calling out for the same change on other Google properties has lead to those changes being implemented and those properties have experienced positive outcomes from implementing those changes. Depending on the small community of TC's and RS's to communicate everything is very hard on you and is difficult to reach everyone. While you are clearly an expert on the subject matter - you've only got so much time in your day. Expanding the group who know and promote the change alongside clear and public documentation is essential. I suggest you'd find life less frustrating as you wouldn't have to correct people and you could point people who deliberately do (or encourage) the wrong behaviour to the help articles - they can't argue then as its right there in black and white (well blue and white, this is Google). Connect is one of the properties where things are done differently (e.g. non Google employees can remove spam) - other Google properties have noticed this and are lobbying to be allowed to do the same. Change can be difficult and frightening but generally should be encouraged. A stagnant unchanging pond might be beautiful on the surface but underneath death waits, where as the dynamic moving river is self cleaning and self healing and still beautiful.

Regards Paul

Level 10

Well said, @PaulPavlinovich, I could not agree more. 

Edit: When MapMaker closed last year (and along with the closure, all its help documentation was unplugged, too, and taken off-line) I wrote this feature request.