UnclePennybags's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Place Marker Not Showing on Map

I've seen many discussions on this topic, but don't see a solution applicable to my problem:

1) For almost two months, I've been loading up the map for Six Flags Great America with place markers.  39 places, 51 photos, and 210 edits later, there are places that just won't show on the map.

2) It's really hit or miss as to which ones are displayed and which ones aren't.  I have a densely populated area of the park where everything shows, and some places that are not near others and do not display.

3) Unlike a city street populated with businesses, people *do* scroll around a theme park map looking for places so they can plan out a trip.  They don't use a search engine to find park attractions, restaurants, or gift shops (especially since every place on the map has the same "address").

4) What's really bad is that duplicate places can get added to the map because people can't see that a place already exists.

I have an example of a place I added on May 17.  If I zoom in on the map and click around on where the place marker should be, I can eventually see that the place exists and can see photos attached to the place.  Here's the place's URL:

This is just one of my places that isn't showing.  I tried moving the place marker to the middle of nowhere to see if I'd be able to see it, but this didn't help.

Any ideas as to what my next steps should be to troubleshoot this issue?

Gurnee, IL, USA
3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Place Marker Not Showing on Map

Hello @UnclePennybags, that problem is indeed one of the most annoying aspects of Maps. I really do not understand why they can't add some rule to the algorithm 'if zoomed in far enough, then show any POI'. For it is no doubt some algorithm determining this.

Can you find some kind of logic in the types/categories of POI not showing up?

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 6

Interesting you should mention whether there's some sort of pattern or logic to this issue.  I thought I had something after the first two places that didn't show.  Almost all my places I've added have a category related to some kind of ride, restaurant, or gift shop.  The first two troublemakers had unique categories: "Ice Cream Shop" and "Photography Studio".  I tried changing the categories on these places with no effect.  However, since the first two, I have another five rogues that are no different than any other place on the map.  I once thought it might have something to do with how densely the map is populated because I *did* see density have an effect on two places on the map.  Unfortunately, none of my problem places are close enough to other places to be a problem.

Though it may be, this doesn't feel like an algorithm issue.  I would not be surprised if duplicate places created at the same locations *would* show on the map.  I'd love to test this theory, but I don't like the idea of intentionally adding bad data that I'd have to clean up later.

Connect Moderator

Hello @UnclePennybags,

There is no issue to troubleshoot, as everything is operating as expected.

It simply is not possible to show every place on the map, so algorithms must decide what people are most likely seeking.

Far is the past we could set the visibility of items, with very strict rules of when thing should show.  The result was that the vast majority of mappers set all the items they added to be visible almost all the time, because one's natural inclination would be that what one maps is important.  For this reason the ability to change visibility was removed and is completely controlled by algorithms now.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages