iMarbot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Place INSTANTLY marked as "Not Applied" over 5 times, even though I even submitted it

Hi @Briggs,

For company have certain scale that can afford marketing campaigns to build a brand, it will give us more clue how they want to be called.

Now, if you just get off from a bus, discovered a shop nearby, the only signage at the store front is  showing Abc Catering Company.

Then will you use Abc, Abc Catering, or Abc Catering Company?

From what I got from@Flash is telling us, I think I should only use Abc.

Level 8

Re: Place INSTANTLY marked as "Not Applied" over 5 times, even though I even submitted it

@YK1001

I disagree with your conclusion and don't believe that Flash is saying that.

There are other forum posts where Flash educates us about the naming of businesses and there are fairly clear guidelines on the formally mentioned GMB help pages.

On what basis are you suggesting that branding can only take place when you have a marketing budget? 

If the window you refer to included a legal term like unlimited (pending the country where you are there are different legal categories for certain type of businesses) then the legal term (by formal guidelines) should be left out of the name in Maps. 

Your ABC Catering Company might have a website and/or Facebook page and letterheads that all have the "ABC Catering Company" name, thereby advertising that this is the trading name they use as their branding. How do they answer the phone? Can you tell from the window you mentioned that they do not call themselves ABC Catering Company?

Level 10

Hi @iMarbot,

'Not applied' is always been a problem. When going get tough, make habit of tough get going :)...No other way here

Thanks & Regards,

Fahid K.A.

Level 7

@Fahid, you are absolutely correct. Thanks to the Google LocalGuides program. I can feel such a change in me. My patience level have landed in Mars and I've joined the 18th column of the periodic table.

I feel I'm so close, just centimeters away from attaining Nirvana.

Level 9

Thak you for the tip, i never imagine change the category solves it

Level 9

You reach the level 10 of funniest!

@lu5er wrote:

@Fahid, you are absolutely correct. Thanks to Google LocalGuides program. I can feel such a change in me. My patience level have landed on Mars and I've joined the 18th column in the periodic table.

I feel I'm so close, just centimeters away from attaining Nirvana.

Level 8

Hi @JeroenM,

Then for my simple example of the "Abc Catering Company", what should the the name I should be putting into the POI?

We are all base on limited information, and our own interpretations of the guidelines, to make a decision.

So "Abc", "Abc Catering" or "Abc Catering Company"?

Level 8

@YK1001

If my only data point is your window then I have to assume that the owner is advertising its trading name on the window and shall thus submit "Abc Catering Company " as this is the name advertised. The moment it receives the Not Applied, I would need to investigate for other data points and if I am still right, report the error with photos as feedback.

The fact that the owner decided to add a description to his trading name makes it correct to use. The "do not use description in names" is when people try to add things to maps that do not have an official name and then make one up themselves. In some cultures/ languages, many formal names are a description. For example, I live on a Spanish island and we have many villages along the coast that are named Caleta (Cove) and villages in the mountains called Vegas (orchard) and we have a white and red mountain being officially called Montana Blanca and Montana Roja.

Connect Moderator

Descriptors do not get used simply because they are part of the trading name.  Many a company has purposely registered trading names such as "Wendell's Bar and Grille - The Best Burgers In Town" and then insisted that meant they got to use that on the map; which is not so.

The name we have access to is known as the Primary name.  It should be what the place is most commonly called.  A good way to think of it is how would you use it in conversation?  Do you say just "I'm going to Wendell's" or tell a taxi driver "Take me to Wendell's"?  If so, then that's almost certainly the primary name.

The example of "ABC Catering Company" cannot be defined with 100% certainty, because we don't know what "ABC" will be in each case and we don't know how it is being used in each case.  If ABC = Wendell's, it might be that everyone just calls it Wendell's, in which case that is the name to use.  But if it's always referred to as Wendell's Catering, by not just the owner but also by the public; then Wendell's Catering would be the name to use.  In other words, if no one knows what you mean when you say "I'm going to Wendell's", but rather you have to say "I'm going to Wendell's Catering" for people to understand; then "Catering" is an integral part of the name; and the exception I expressed earlier that descriptors can only be used if they are an integral part of the name then is in force.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

So "Company" or "Company Limited" should not be included in the POI.