iMarbot's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Re: Place INSTANTLY marked as "Not Applied" over 5 times, even though I even submitted it

@YK1001 wrote:

No, I have nothing to add, @lu5er.

The current situation is not good, from LGs perspective.

- Correct contributions are being rejected.  (Our own contribution are always good and correct, right?)

- Spams got published more and more

- Same edit, new join Level 1 LG got published while our own got rejected

- It takes forever to process Reports / Feedbacks.  2 month got a result I consider lucky.

- Reports on Duplicate never got processed.

Google is not telling.

And we are on our own.

Please be reminded that the RL model and the GMM just ended in Q1.  Changes take time.

And we can keep dreaming.

Reports on duplicates... I hate that not doing a single thing, not even listed in "My Edits" or anything. I have tried to get a duplicate less detailed node removed before via other options but it never gets applied. I honestly don't understand why duplicate does nothing... 

Level 8

Re: Place INSTANTLY marked as "Not Applied" over 5 times, even though I even submitted it

iMarbot wrote: 

>>I will however comment on the fact I have never received any positive outcome from the sending feedback function. Also sadly on the fact GMM has >>a much wider and diverse feature set than LG will probably ever have 😕

Ever is a long time frame and anything is possible.

We are told GMM needs to end because to have a common code base will allow much faster development.

May be in one year's time, we will have a good approval mechanism in compared to the RL model.

May be in two year's time, what we can do more in compared to the GMM UI.  I am not just talking about the Maps UI.  In modern apps, there can be multiple UI, doing sightly different things but as a whole can work much better than a single tool.

We can keep dreaming!

Level 6

@YK1001 wrote:

iMarbot wrote: 

>>I will however comment on the fact I have never received any positive outcome from the sending feedback function. Also sadly on the fact GMM has >>a much wider and diverse feature set than LG will probably ever have 😕

Ever is a long time frame and anything is possible.

We are told GMM needs to end because to have a common code base will allow much faster development.

May be in one year's time, we will have a good approval mechanism in compared to the RL model.

May be in two year's time, what we can do more in compared to the GMM UI.  I am not just talking about the Maps UI.  In modern apps, there can be multiple UI, doing sightly different things but as a whole can work much better than a single tool.

We can keep dreaming!

I can dream as well. It saddens me when I think about how easily and more detailed I can make changes on OSM compared to here, but I guess that's just the benefits of an Open System compared to a Closed System. Obviously Google Maps can never be an open system, as there would be so many spam edits, but I will dream for the ability to one day have more control than just a text box for LGs.

Level 8

I read from the early days of GMM, edits just got published with 100% trust towards contributors.

As the program gains popularity, Spams will grow.  And measures to counter Spam also grows.  And it makes what Google Maps is today.

OSM will be there soon.  Not because of technology.  Because of human.

Level 7

@iMarbot wrote:

I can dream as well. It saddens me when I think about how easily and more detailed I can make changes on OSM compared to here, but I guess that's just the benefits of an Open System compared to a Closed System. Obviously Google Maps can never be an open system, as there would be so many spam edits, but I will dream for the ability to one day have more control than just a text box for LGs.

I have been an active contributor to Mozilla. The way they handles and manages the community-driven concept, you'll feel a part of them (although we never worked there). I guess Google should decide what to do.

They just cannot float being pseudo-community-driven.

Level 6

@YK1001 wrote:

I read from the early days of GMM, edits just got published with 100% trust towards contributors.

As the program gains popularity, Spams will grow.  And measures to counter Spam also grows.  And it makes what Google Maps is today.

OSM will be there soon.  Not because of technology.  Because of human.

I've already dealt with my share of spam on OSM, I can hope it doesn't grow and that their moderation team can keep it clean. I have also heard about the spam GMM had before it was limited the first time, sadly it happens 😕

I would hope Google develops a user trust system which has a hidden trust rating for every guide (if it doesn't already) and uses it when deciding which edit gets automatically approved, denied or sent to a team.

Level 10

That's the thing @lu5er.. now you might have created another common problem i.e. a duplicate listing! Especially when the owner of the business decide to list their own.

In the end, it is Google's system. It invited us to edit its data, in the end the data is theirs. I feel like people are disrespectful to Google, just like entering a stranger's home after an invitation and start modifying it when the owner had said no. Yes it might differ from the reality on the ground, but it is still their data, when it had said no. No we are trying to subvert the system.

@lu5er wrote:

@iMarbot, I think @NicacioS gave the best solution. Change the category and try again.

Just see CELL SOLUTION got created after I changed to a similar category!

@HelloSamsonR@tashantamim and @WetCoastCanuck what can we say about the NOT APPLIED issue? Is it still claimed by someone or just a bug that is intentionally kept?

Level 7

@WetCoastCanuck, well i might have done done.

But consider this as A DEMO and a BUG REPORT. Suppose someone did this in the first attempt. Then what? Duplicate listing will be created, right? The system is not FOOLPROOF and there are ways to misdirect it.

So, the smart coders out there should treat this as an ERROR REPORT and work on, such that proper messages can be delivered for NOT APPLIED cases unlike the infamous pinned-down post. Otherwise people will go on trying and trying (as so many people above commented to try) and flood the system.

Level 10

It is a myth that "smart coders" have more power than "ignorant users" e.g. Tesla Autopilot when a guy got killed when he was watching a movie instead of driving & all types of fly by wire systems e.g. German Wings tragedy.

I think Google coders have balance their need for information integrity vs usability. If you have any more problems to submit a separate submissions to Feedback & Feature Requests. It is up to you to submit an error report.

Level 7

@lu5er  Thanks for mention me.

I think this isn't bug but something incorrect or missing like address as you did. Because Solak pally wasn't exist on map but 45/4 was exist and map detect that manually. If you want to give exact information then you have be sure all the related information exist on map or you have add that on map first like road name or region.