LeightonHT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Photographic Documentation of Melbourne Bus Stops

Railway enthusiasts or "gunzels" as we are colloquially called in Australia are largely responsible for documenting Melbourne's vast railway history. On Google Maps, you can click on a station like "Carrum", "Ringwood" or "Sunshine" and photos past and present of that station will instantly appear. However I have found that this has generally not extended to Melbourne's bus network. For one, this history is much shorter and flexible unlike the majority of our railways, and therefore more difficult to document. I believe that by adding photos of Melbourne's bus stops, we can develop a more comprehensive picture of this part of our public transport network. Signage, routes and operators change over time, but photos of these sites now will provide an idea of how things were at the beginning of the twenty-first century. Typical Melbourne bus stop signage along Queen Street in the central business district.Typical Melbourne bus stop signage along Queen Street in the central business district.

Leighton H. Triplow
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Photographic Documentation of Melbourne Bus Stops

@LeightonHT wrote:

photos past and present ....I believe that by adding photos of Melbourne's bus stops, we can develop a more comprehensive picture of this part of our public transport network. Signage, routes and operators change over time, but photos of these sites now will provide an idea of how things were at the beginning of the twenty-first century. 

Generally the map is not meant as an historical record. Photos we upload should be of our experience of that feature at that the time we were there. As time goes by some photos that accurately reflected the place will become out of date and they will gradually disappear. 

Historical photos are absolutely fascinating, I love them, but really they belong on a custom map https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

Level 8

I add photos of bus stops whenever I have an opportunity, because I feel it's important information as to whether it is sheltered or is on a raised kerb, or things like that. I feel sometimes there might just be someone that might benefit from being able to see it in advance if they are planning a journey! 

Level 10

Interesting idea.  I actually use Google Maps to investigate bus stops now as I often use buses to get around.  The bus stops are usually on the map and a double tap brings up a picture of it with street view capability.  Providing an historical reference on Maps could cause problems as I know of numerous local route changes / closures which I would feel sorry for anyone to try and use in error.

Connect Moderator

Rather than for historical reasons, I think it can be very beneficial when you add other useful information about that stop such as accessibility details, available seating and weather protection, lighting, staffing, ticketing, alternatives in case of delays or breakdowns on that particular route, and any other tips that can help etc etc. I live in a very transient/high volume tourist area and often see tourists on buses and trams trying to make there away around town using printed tourist maps that are very limited, clumsy to use and difficult to understand at the best of time. Yes they do have access to PTV (official public government transport) websites but these are even more complex to traverse (for example there are Route Nos, Bus and Tram Stop Nos (some are duplicated), Stop Ids and even tramTracker Ids, sheesh which one do I use, which website or app do I go to?) it really is just too confusing.  I see this as a great opportunity for Google Maps to provide important and relevant information, and quickly to travelers in need of a helping hand.