JoyHawkins's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Pending Maps Edits

I have noticed that many pending Edits show up on places on the Google Maps app that users can vote on but not every pending edit that I would see in MapMaker. Is there any reason why they don't all show up?  Does it have to do with the platform the edit was submitted through?

22 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Pending Maps Edits

You are correct to think that all edits in Maps showed in Map Maker in the past.  As per this announcement, that absolute connection was broken last August.  This was required so that the team could start to build the new editing features that will be coming soon in Maps; the old technology of Map Maker would have held them back and not let them start until Map Maker was closed if they did not make that break.   While it was thought at the time of the announcement that a complete break would have to be made, it ended up only being partial.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 9

Hello @JoyHawkins

Google Map Maker was closed in various locations across the globe. The maps app was then introduced to local guides and thus as google is phasing out Map Maker, some information too that had not been approved will go along with it.

For now the important information is what we can access using the maps app. That is what matters most now. I would preffer if you would suggest your edit using the maps app and make sure that you have provided sufficient information for the places you deem were not added previously by the Map Maker. 

Happy Mapping, Happy Days

Regards

JonasK

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Connect Moderator
Solution

You are correct to think that all edits in Maps showed in Map Maker in the past.  As per this announcement, that absolute connection was broken last August.  This was required so that the team could start to build the new editing features that will be coming soon in Maps; the old technology of Map Maker would have held them back and not let them start until Map Maker was closed if they did not make that break.   While it was thought at the time of the announcement that a complete break would have to be made, it ended up only being partial.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

@JonasKL  People can continue to use Map Maker until it closes, and many will want to do so as it does offer more advanced editing that currently available in Maps.

Level 10

Thank you for clearing my doubt too.

@GreggG wrote:

Pratik Asutkar
Level 9

Since the new change or merging the edits into Google Maps, does anyone know how the edits are being approved now and who is approving them?

I would think they would come through to Level 5 map editors.

Connect Moderator

Google is approving all edits, either via it's algorithms or by having employees process those the algorithm cannot make a final decision upon.

Level 10

@LarryH wrote:

Since the new change or merging the edits into Google Maps, does anyone know how the edits are being approved now and who is approving them?

I would think they would come through to Level 5 map editors.

Edits are being approved through check the facts, AI, Google Moderators and taking in consideration your trust level in a combination we are not aware; the old model that included RL (Regional Leads) to approve many updates, is no more active.

In a recent HO someone heard about a tool that could provide more update power to LVL5 LG, but no more is knew about.

Level 9

Thank you @Flash

You are so helpful! Thank you for enlightening me.

Regards

JonasK

@GreggG wrote:

@JonasKL  People can continue to use Map Maker until it closes, and many will want to do so as it does offer more advanced editing that currently available in Maps.

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Connect Moderator

@LucioV wrote:

Edits are being approved through check the facts and taking in consideration your trust level. 

As you have been previously told, edits are not being approved by other users.