Kearnsy_inoz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Parks, gardens and natural areas - adding infrastructure vector layers

Hi there 🙂

Wondering if anybody has experience mapping out public open spaces such as botanical gardens and parkland. I believe tourists and the community would benefit if items such as taps, seats, shade structures and also garden collections would be great to include on Google maps but pins for these items would make the areas look messy. Is it possible to upload vector layers similar to how a shopping centre is included on Google maps. I live in Australia. Cheers

Australia
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Parks, gardens and natural areas - adding infrastructure vector layers

Hello,

A place gets only one POI on the map, we are not to map the individual elements within it as those would be considered duplicates of the main feature.

Mapping the elements of a feature belongs on a custom map, for which Google supplies a number of solutions.  The most appropriate for your example would likely be Google My Maps.  Such maps can be made searchable, which means with good choices of map title and the naming of the map elements then they should show up in Google searches.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

A place gets only one POI on the map, we are not to map the individual elements within it as those would be considered duplicates of the main feature.

Mapping the elements of a feature belongs on a custom map, for which Google supplies a number of solutions.  The most appropriate for your example would likely be Google My Maps.  Such maps can be made searchable, which means with good choices of map title and the naming of the map elements then they should show up in Google searches.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 7

Hi, thanks for the prompt response Flash.

Are you able to provide an example of how this feature has been used elsewhere? 

Also wondering if the Google My Maps feature loads separately to Google maps because ideally I would like these features included in Google Maps for navigational purposes from GPS enables devices.

Regards 

Connect Moderator

I don't have any examples ready right now, but I have come across them many times when looking for details about a place.

When someone views a My Map that they themselves did not make they can star it to save it (click the outline of a star so that it fills in in yellow).  It will then appear within the Maps app under "Your Places -> Maps".  Clicking on it there will overlay it onto your regular map so that it's elements can then be used with navigation.

For example, there is one that someone made and I found in a search of BC Craft Breweries, I plan to use it on a road trip next week.  Star it and then activate it within the Maps app and you'll find you can click on any marker and then get directions to that marker.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic quetion