LMG22's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

POIs belonging to the same location

Hey,

So, I do apologise if this had already been asked before, but I have had absolutely no luck in finding the right answer (or even an answer, for that matter).

How do we go about if a place has multiple points of interest? Now I am not talking about malls or commercial centres. In my specific case, I am referring to a retirement home which has an office and a cafeteria. Now, obviously, the retirement home is 'technically' open 24/7, but the office (administration) isn't, nor is the cafeteria. Is there a specific way of adding these two missing locations and even linking them to the place they belong to? Or am I to just make use of the classical way of creating these two and then just add a note or something next to their names?

Also, is it even possible to indicate the floor a POI is on? Now, in my exact case, both are on the ground floor, but there are many cases with hospitals/schools who have a shop on a higher floor.

Any answer is appreciated. Please bear in mind that I am asking these questions as your average local guide, as a regular internet user who wants to apply these changes, thus directing me to Google My Business (or even have me ask the manager to claim the institute) will not be helpful to me (because I can't do neither of those), so I really need to know if there are solutions for us, simple users.

9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: POIs belonging to the same location

Hello @LMG22,

As others have eluded, we normally do not map the components of a place; they would just be considered duplicates of the place.

The rules of the map do allow mapping of departments if they meet certain criteria.  However, the cafeteria in a seniors facility is not mappable as it's not open to the public; it shouldn't appear on someone's map when they search for some place to eat.

The office for running a facility would not be considered a separate element from the facility, even if it's hours differ from the facility itself.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 8

@LMG22 wrote:

Hey,

So, I do apologise if this had already been asked before, but I have had absolutely no luck in finding the right answer (or even an answer, for that matter).

How do we go about if a place has multiple points of interest? Now I am not talking about malls or commercial centres. In my specific case, I am referring to a retirement home which has an office and a cafeteria. Now, obviously, the retirement home is 'technically' open 24/7, but the office (administration) isn't, nor is the cafeteria. Is there a specific way of adding these two missing locations and even linking them to the place they belong to? Or am I to just make use of the classical way of creating these two and then just add a note or something next to their names?

Also, is it even possible to indicate the floor a POI is on? Now, in my exact case, both are on the ground floor, but there are many cases with hospitals/schools who have a shop on a higher floor.

Any answer is appreciated. Please bear in mind that I am asking these questions as your average local guide, as a regular internet user who wants to apply these changes, thus directing me to Google My Business (or even have me ask the manager to claim the institute) will not be helpful to me (because I can't do neither of those), so I really need to know if there are solutions for us, simple users.

It would only be normal to add further points if they were independent of the the main POI, like if there was a Starbucks on site it could be added, I think for you this is not the case and therefore they can't be added. If you "own the business" there might be an opportunity, because you can add further categories, but you say you don't want get into this detail level.

I would suggest you list the office hours, because the premises are open 24 hours.   

Connect Moderator

The owner of the possession only can great instore maps. So, you can not enter levels.

@LMG22

I open a new place in this case. It is separat. The same with restaurants in Hotels.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

You should only open separate POIs if the POI is working interdependent, such as have their own phone number and are trading in their own right. 

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @LMG22,

As others have eluded, we normally do not map the components of a place; they would just be considered duplicates of the place.

The rules of the map do allow mapping of departments if they meet certain criteria.  However, the cafeteria in a seniors facility is not mappable as it's not open to the public; it shouldn't appear on someone's map when they search for some place to eat.

The office for running a facility would not be considered a separate element from the facility, even if it's hours differ from the facility itself.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 10

Thanks for all of the replies!

@colinchaffers Actually, there is no option to suggest working hours for a retirement house (nor that I would, because it might be confusing to some people).

@Flash Do you have any idea if Google plans to ever introduce such an option of having different hours for places belonging to the same POI? While the cafeteria is not exactly open to the public, it's still open to visitors who have relatives there, so it's still sort of semi-open. Also, I have sent you a PM with some issues I encountered with some places. Did you receive it?

Connect Moderator

I have no idea what is planned.

I do not look at unsolicited PMs.  If you have issues with places, please create a thread to discuss them.  If there is any privacy concerns indicate those in your post and then I or another moderator will reach out to get that information.

Level 10

@Flash Unsolicited or not, I encounter issues with places from time to time, so I feel it's just better not to create a thread for every single issue I encounter. It would be just spamming the forums and sending other threads to the bottom.

Connect Moderator

@LMG22 wrote:

It would be just spamming the forums

Using the Mapping forum for exactly the purpose it was set up for is not "spamming" it.

and sending other threads to the bottom.

Messaging me directly to personally work on your issues would have the same effect on other people's posts.

I volunteer to do this, and have only a certain amount of time I can devote to it; it is not fair to others to work on your issues when they have been waiting for a response.  Additionally, all the volunteers also are free to choose what they wish to answer, it is not to be dictated by the posters who will answer and when.  Please post in the forum like everyone else; as that is from where we will choose the questions to answer.  Please also be sure to first search the forums, as most questions have already been answered.

Level 10

@Flash Will do for both. I am always scouring the forums for possibly similar questions, but sometimes there really aren't, sometimes they're so deeply buried that not even the suggestions can find them. I also google them, but I am not always sure of what exact terms to use when googling. What would be really nice is a complete guide or an FAQ. That would save everyone a lot of time.

Also, I've asked the same question in a thread I just created, but before you got to reply in this thread, so sorry for the double question (just needed to know for sure).