aka_Rὁn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Optional E-mail Notifications for "NOT APPLIED" Contributions

... test message which the system will NOT allow me to delete ! ...

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
15 comments
Level 7

Re: Optional E-mail Notifications for "NOT APPLIED" Contributions

@LucioV

It seems that this is a new location for "Mapping Your World" posts but I am not sure at the moment how I managed to find it and will have to trace back my browser history to find the path that led me here.

All I can say was that it came as a surprise and I was looking for something else at the time.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 10

Thanks @aka_Rὁn now I'm mobile and I don't see the link for the parent board. I think we will need to create a sort of directory for hidden boards and important threads from connect, just as reference.

Level 7

No DELETE option on menu !!!

See for yourself :

no-delete-option-on-menu.png

😞

Level 7

@LucioV

I totally agree ... but where would it be safe to post such a list of hidden links ?

The fact that your most recent addition to the Ideas Exchange board has already been CLOSED in less than 24 hours has made me wonder what is actually going on behind the scenes now.

If the ability to add tags had not been withdrawn I would have added the following descriptors  in response:

• circular reasoning
  • logical fallacy
  • ludicrous loop

I haven't seen much in the way of evidence that the Beta testing was actually carried out.

All I have seen so far is a number of reviews and comments based on how things should work by those who have obviously not tried to use some of the facilities that they describe.

The Mapping section of the Help Desk is a case in point.

😞

Level 10

I really don't know what to think about the whole situation. I will stay away for a while, I'm sure many will enjoy. 😁

Former Google Contributor

@aka_Rὁn - The removal of the delete option is working as intended on the new Connect. We changed Connect to make it a more enjoyable and inclusive experience for all Local Guides and this is one of the smaller adjustments that was made.  To learn more about the Connect update, visit this post.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 7

@BruceDM

The removal of the delete option is working as intended on the new Connect. 

We changed Connect to make it a more enjoyable and inclusive experience for all Local Guides and this is one of the smaller adjustments that was made.

Thank you for your response which is one that I have seen copied-and-pasted into so many of the replies palmed off  whenever  Local Guides raise serious and reasonable concerns.

It seems like these kinds of instant conversations killers and the overuse of the term "not feasible" are going to become more and more dominant in Connect 2.0.

What is distressing is the admission that  this removal of functionality is not a "bug" but is in fact a design feature which supposedly is for our own good and is meant to be "enjoyable".

Please forgive me if I am not convinced by such unsubstantiated claims and for not "enjoying" most of the so-called "improvements".

The reason why I wanted to delete this particular item was that I discovered that I accidentally posted it in the wrong part of the forum and simply wanted to remove this one rather than have someone scold me (again) for posting a duplicate comment.

On the previous occasion where I had made that particular mistake (last week) I was still able to delete the earlier comment and re-post its contents moments later in its rightful position.

That did not meet with the approval of one of the moderators who - for reasons unknown to me - restored the deleted copy and then moved it to the end of an old message thread (on page 77 !) and to make matters even worse it had been LOCKED  so that nobody could comment on it any further.

The way that this community forum is being policed seems a bit unfriendly and heavy-handed at times and instead of inclusive I honestly feel that some of the unsolicited advice smack of its polar opposite :  and could almost be described as  intrusive - particularly when long-standing, experienced high-level Local Guides are subjected to unwarranted criticism whenever they attempt to help their colleagues.

There needs to be a full and open debate which cannot be so quickly sidelined or shut down to get some of this vital issues back on the table as the Ideas Exchange area does not seem to be working in anything that remote resembles a community forum at present.

If one wanted to provide the existing forum structure with a slick veneer that would be one thing but instead it looks like the forum has been entirely hijacked and is going to become some form of online magazine in order to limit the degree of user interaction and present a consistent corporate image.

If one cannot accommodate both style and substance in the same forum then perhaps there needs to be a split so that the best of both worlds can be achieved.

In other words Connect 2.1 could introduce a separate LG Connect Magazine (for those who are interested in such a showcase) and a full-featured (if plain vanilla) LG Connect Community Forum which would make it far easier for user-to-user discussions to take place without so much interference and with real improvements to accessibilty so that backtracking of our own posts and edits could be more comprehensive.

At this point in time I, for one, cannot trace my  full edit history back more than a couple of days and that makes a mockery of any kind of informational forum - particularly when the contents of such threads contains so much essential technical advice.

Please take the time to think through these matters from the perspective of the dedicated Google Maps contributors rather than close ranks and deliver a corporate verdict on such concerns.

A WIN-WIN resolution of these issues would be of benefit to everyone.

Level 7

Re: No DELETE option on menu !!!

It also appears at present that we are unable to delete any of the photos that we uploaded to Local Connect in the context of a particular message even though their URLs are no longer referenced.

I have just been working on a header graphic for one of my postings to the Idea Exchange board but am unable to delete the previous (work-in-progress) versions and now the entire entry has vanished without trace.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/All-Ideas/E-mail-Notifications-for-quot-NOT-APPLIED-quot-Contr...

Perhaps there is a bug in the new Idea Exchange process or perhaps the system does not allow us to re-edit our entries even though such edits do not influence the position of the IDEA in the Idea Exchange category.

Perhaps the contents were regarded as too controversial even though supporting evidence was provided in graphic form.

Here is a screenschot of the IDEA before it disappeared from the Local Connect forum and from the contributions I can view on my own account page.

Lost IDEALost IDEA

Connect Moderator

Re: No DELETE option on menu !!!

Hello @aka_Rὁn,

I would not worry about it, as your graphic is largely incorrect.

Everyone gets denials, including Googlers and the most experienced mappers.  Artificial intelligence is not yet at the level to keep the spammers out while never giving false positives.

The system considers this fact.  When you are denied simply because the system can't confirm your edit or when a human reviewer sees it is wrong but sees you meant no ill intent then the impact on your trust level is neutral.

Trust hits are designed to be given to obvious spam, malicious edits, etc.  Where a mapper gets themselves into trouble is when they get denials all the time and do nothing to find the issue and solve it.

• Making some errors, asking for advice from the experts, and then correcting your editing style will have negligible effect on your trust level.
  • Making some errors, refusing to accept that Google's requirements might be different than what your inputting, and continuing to make the same type of edits over and over again could be interpreted as malicious and could result in a trust hit.

The average mapper who is continually trying to improve their understanding of Google's requirements is unlikely to ever see a trust hit.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages