LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Official Category list

@Flash please, unmark the topic as answered, for more support from Googlers. Thanks

Thank you for your concern, but the post marked as the answer is what people need to be aware about this list, and thus is appropriate as the best answer.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

Hi @Flash, this is not at all a pointless request as not all users are graduated to know available Categories in this program unless they know the exact wording to search for.

This can be determined that how many users have requested (including senior members of this community) for this list. As well fact check can give you more clarity where hundreds of places were updated with inaccurate category information. 

Lastly, if the list is updated regularly, it's even better to link it here on connect so all users can benefit from it. 

Connect Moderator

I am unclear how a downloaded list would change anything.  If a person doesn't know the correct word to use, it does not make a difference if they are using the online version or a downloaded list.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

@Flash please, unmark the topic as answered, for more support from Googlers. Thanks

Thank you for your concern, but the post marked as the answer is what people need to be aware about this list, and thus is appropriate as the best answer.

There was no question at all 🙂 So there is no best answer.

Anyway, @Flash i will not unmark your answer, because it doesn't matter at all 🙂 but, please, start reading private messages.

Bye, have a nice day, you are one step closer to 100 solutions badge, congratulations 🙂

P.S. Waiting for Mausoleo Agrippa in 1, 2, 3 😄

Connect Moderator

A list that would also include the date on which each category was added could be a great help in finding locations that still have more generic categories ('Restaurant') because the more specific category ('Italian restaurant') was not yet available when the category was set for a location.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 9

I appreciate the contributions made in this thread by fellow local guides. This post helped me to understand that still google had not provided actual list of acceptable categories. But it is a necessary documentation that should be published by google map team. If  privileged users comment this question as pointless then it'll only put an adverse effect on future local guides. Until we don't know the alphabets how can we try to spell a word. Of course there are hit and trial methods but that will keep users every time they try to put such places. And most of the advanced users are so well versed with the category option that they select category in one try only. I can understand that place categories may differ based on the country specific information, but it can be listed as it was done for GMB. Actually GMB is a revenue generating project and so google team is more concerned about that rather then google maps local guide. 

Level 8

@Flash

One of the categories that I have had problems with is "Grocery Store". Searching in Google, this category is given to different commercial stores, whose names vary in different countries of Latin America and Spain.
If you search for this category in Google maps, lists of commercial places appear in my country and in the world, that sell very different products, it would not be clear that products are sold in them or this category is being used incorrectly.
  I leave this to your consideration, if it does not correspond to this publication, I would appreciate moving it, to be able to correct the categories of my country, or they are good for Google. This topic is not clear to me.
Thank you very much.
Best regards.
LuaPL.

LuaPL
Connect Moderator

@LuaPL This particular category is a good example of cases where also the translation of the category terms is causing a lot of misunderstanding.

A very specific example: it is used systematically as category for the the shops of the German chain of discount supermarkets "Aldi Süd", although the category 'discount supermarket' is also available (and given the fact that 'Aldi' is derived from 'Albrecht Discount' - Albrecht being the name of the founders - it is quite clear that this would be the best possible category). My guess is that this is due to the German translation of Grocery store: "Lebensmittelgeschäft", which literally translates as "shop selling products for living". 

I have tried adapting the category on some of them, which was accepted by the algorithm within seconds, but then noticed that the change was reverted a bit later (by the business owner who has some automatic process in place?).

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

@JanVanHaver

The categories should be applicable to everyone and we should all understand what is put in that category. Well when I search by categories in google maps, I see the world lists.
 Recently I read here in Connect, who wanted to generalize a category for Asia, they were a local chain , a case similar to the one you raise in your country, create a category for any system of association or something that corresponds to it and that country in question and only that country understands and so make a category, which is seen in all Google maps of the world.I agree with you. Sorry @LucioV, do not get to open your link.
It happened to me, to upload a local engine for ships and the only option I had was: "engines for boats in Japan or China" (I do not remember exactly which of the two countries it was).
And the outdoor monuments, I must put them as open-air museums. And there are more, but I have not made a list of the categories that I have problems working on maps, I only mention what I remember at this time.
I agree, it is complicated the global categories and the Local Guides that are just beginning, for the enthusiasm of uploading places to maps, they make mistakes. What we do for them, for us and for improving maps.
Greetings for all

LuaPL
Connect Moderator

@LuaPL There are/have been attempts to add 'localized' categories, but it was not finalized, or aborted, or whatever. See this post for an example I came across recently.