Level 8

Re: Best Practice: Find the right category

Hello @JanVanHaver

Excellent work. I really appreciate it.

Happy guiding. #LetsGuide

Level 10

Hi @JanVanHaver

It's a good topic to discuss,as I had face same problem in past to categorise the places,

Your point is valid,but I wanted to add some more,

Hairdressers category was not in the maps but now a days it's available,even when it was not in maps ,I used to categorise it barber shop,

Money changers are fall in currency exchange category,as there is no money changers in default category

So we have to think a bit when we edit categories, because it's a most important part,

Thanks,I hope you get my point

Have a nice day

Connect Moderator

@AkmalB you are absolutely right: sometimes it is tricky to find the exact term. In a previous post, I have already suggested that the database behind the categories would be extended with a column that contains alternative terms. If that would then be made searchable, you would find the 'money' example you mention by typing 'exchange'.

By the way: your comment made me double check the example I had included (which was chosen randomly) and there was a problem with it indeed. 'Hairdresser' as category is not in the English list, it is 'Hair salon'. So I have adapted the post - thank you for the feedback!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

Thank you so much @JanVanHaver

You made and write a great series of BEST PRACTICE,

I will go through one by one and I am sure I could learn a lot from your experience,

Thanks again

Connect Moderator

My pleasure @AkmalB, it is always nice to hear other people find good use for them.

Do not hesitate to share them in any way you want! #LetsGuide

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Former Google Contributor

Awesome post @JanVanHaver. Thanks for taking the time to craft this. I'm going to forward this one to my team :). Would you happen to have any images (just one will suffice) you'd want to link to this post?

Keep 'em coming!

Connect Moderator

Awesome @ArielleM_! As 'bank' is one of the categories I mentioned as listed on the default list, here's one I took a while in Temse, Belgium. Will that do?

IMG_20180127_143551496.jpg

Former Google Contributor

Hey @JanVanHaver,

You can feature any picture you like :). We're just trying to encourage our Local Guides to include images in posts. It simply makes the overall experience more cohesive and enjoyable as a content consumer. In this case, I would go with another photo, maybe something more relevant to your article and possibly higher quality. Still, attach this one to your post if you feel it suits best.

Thanks for your time!

Connect Moderator

@ArielleM_ I tested a few and then went for the one I now added to the post. As for photo quality: I'm a smartphone-only LG  🙂