cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Not applied for a particular organisation

@GusMoreira

I have been doing a lot of translation work from Thai to English

I have come accross many organisations for which I cannot make changes.

Have these been blocked by Google for some reason?

For example1.ธนาคารไทยพาณิชย์ which translates to Siam Commercial Bank

and 2. ธนาคารกรุงไทย  Krungthai Bank

These are just 2 examples. I have tried to make changes to at least 100 of these and they are rejected.

Are there certain organisations that Google prohibit from making edits?

Can someone from Google respond? If not how can I ask Google this question?

Thailand
8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Not applied for a particular organisation

Hi @Mjyates,

First of all, thank you very much for contribution!

Adding the name is English or the local language is something that I really enjoy doing it when I'm mapping.

None of the POIs you mentioned are blocked for any contribution but as @Briggs also noticed a few weeks ago, we are making some changes on our algorithm so this may have been affecting some of your edits as well.

But don't take it personal, this happens to to everyone and our algorithm is constantly changing to make sure only good edits are going through. Try submitting your edit again in a after a few days or do some other types of contribution in the meantime.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Level 10

@BruceDM @GusMoreira @TraciC

Hi guys

I hope someone can respond to my query please?

Michael

@Mjyates wrote:

@GusMoreira

I have been doing a lot of translation work from Thai to English

I have come accross many organisations for which I cannot make changes.

Have these been blocked by Google for some reason?

For example1.ธนาคารไทยพาณิชย์ which translates to Siam Commercial Bank

and 2. ธนาคารกรุงไทย  Krungthai Bank

These are just 2 examples. I have tried to make changes to at least 100 of these and they are rejected.

Are there certain organisations that Google prohibit from making edits?

Can someone from Google respond? If not how can I ask Google this question?

Level 10

Hello again Michael,

I'm very sure Google does appreciate the native translations of local foreign businesses and POIs to english. Have you made edits to these sorts of organisations before? Generally speaking, if there is a name change from say, Thai to English or Chinese to English, there would be a manual review to determine whether or not it is best suited as such, rather than being immediately not applied. While many of them are also claimed by GMB listings and also monitored by their databases, there is still a dialogue between reviewing edits made by either themselves or users to determine if it is most correct. It is not necessarily customary to block responses.

As you had only initially tagged Gus before, he's quite a busy Googler himself, so of course tagging @Flash, TraciC or @BruceDM will assist better in your enquiries.

Level 10

Thanks @Briggs for the interest and the reply.

Yes in random isolated cases the POI does get accepted. Maybe one in Fifty. I know for sure the information is correct. Its not just random rejections. Its at the point where it is futile to submit these changes.

But this is counter productive to the overall goal of ensuring that  Google Maps has pervasive correct information.

There are other organisations too with hundreds of locations that need translating yet they get rejected instantaneously.

@Flash@BruceDM

Connect Moderator

Hello,

The rules for the map are that names are not to be translated on the map, but rather transliterated.

If a place actually has a name used in Language A and a name used in Language B, then you can add both.  A good example would be KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken), which is PFK (Poulet Frit Kentucky) in French.  PFK is not a translation of the English name, but rather the actual official French trade name used on signage, in common conversation, etc. and thus both are permissible to be added.

But if a place just has a name in Lanaguage A, then you should only add a transliteration in Language B.  If the transliteration is exactly the same name, there is no need to add it.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Hi @Flash thanks for the clarification.

In both examples I have given you the organisations have 2 official trade names. I am translating both ways in some cases i.e. Thai to English and English to Thai . I am not changing the name rather adding the information in the second language field as required .Screenshot_20171025-075428.png

Screenshot_20171025-075235.png

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi @Mjyates,

First of all, thank you very much for contribution!

Adding the name is English or the local language is something that I really enjoy doing it when I'm mapping.

None of the POIs you mentioned are blocked for any contribution but as @Briggs also noticed a few weeks ago, we are making some changes on our algorithm so this may have been affecting some of your edits as well.

But don't take it personal, this happens to to everyone and our algorithm is constantly changing to make sure only good edits are going through. Try submitting your edit again in a after a few days or do some other types of contribution in the meantime.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 10

Hey @GusMoreira

Thanks for taking the time to look into my issue.

Whilst my problem is not yet resolved, Im glad to have some clarification that the POI's are not "blocked" in any way.

In the meantime there many more things to keep me busy!

I most certainly will attempt these edits again in the future.

Level 8

That would be great