cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9
Level 9

Re: 'Not applied' error - adding place

@AndrewNG wrote:

Thanks - the link is https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/579+Lygon+St,+Princes+Hill+VIC+3054/@-37.782717,144.967526,17z

Name: Hairstudio Carlton

Category: Hairdresser

According to that link, if you're saying the hairdresser is at number 579, Google thinks there are already two businesses at that address one of which got a recent customer review. If those other businesses are incorrectly represented you could always help to improve the map by fixing those listings. Can't be sure but that might improve the chance of your edit being approved

Btw at the top of the thread you mentioned using a different account to try and make this edit. You just need to be a bit careful there because from a recent moderator post: "actively participating in Local Guides with more than one account is against our rules and policy. Doing so will result in removal of one if not all accounts and may result in a permanent ban from the LG program."

Level 1

Good to know re posting from multiple accounts. My only purpose was to try to isolate a variable to help identify the problem, but won't do it again.

Those other businesses aren't actually there. I appreciate everyone trying to assist, but was getting a bit frustrated, so I just walked down that stretch of road and took a video of all those shops, identifying each of them.

Now I see there doesn't seem to be a way to upload a video here. I could upload it to my Drive then post a link? It's just me walking down that strip of shops, showing the signs on the front of each from up close.

Actually, perhaps I'll just try marking as Permanently Closed the other two businesses at that address - they are definitely not there and there are some other ones missing, so I'll start there and let you know how I go.

Level 1

Still not working!

Update:

- As previous commenter identified, there were two other businesses listed at that address.

- I deleted one of the other businesses - as far as I can tell, that had never existed.

- The other business, which had been reviewed, was at the wrong address. I moved it to next door, where it is, but it was already listed next door under a different name - the reviewer had obviously erroneously added a new business to review it, rather than reviewing the existing correct entry.

- I deleted one of those two entries as a duplicate.

- Once this was done, the little grey circle icon with the white square inside disappeared from 579 Lygon St, where I'm trying to add the new business. I thought this would solve the problem, but I submitted an Add Missing Place request including phone number and business hours, and it STILL comes back (within seconds, so it's clearly algorithmic/automated) as Not Added.

I suspect the nature of the problem is around this. When you enter the address - 579 Lygon St, Princess Hill, Vic, Australia - the review of the Carlton North Convenience Store still shows up at that address, even though the map position and actual address have now moved next door.

Can anyone help progress this from here?

Level 9
Level 9

@AndrewNG wrote:

- I deleted one of those two entries as a duplicate. 

It may be only a question of terminology but just checking, we only report duplicates not delete them. Pick either of the dups and Google will look at the report and decide on the best course of action, merging data from different sources 

Screenshot 2017-02-27 at 21.08.21.png

My suggestion at this point would be to wait a while and see what happens to those existing listings. Alternatively if the hairdresser is a friend you could introduce her to https://www.google.com/business/ so she could add her business herself and Claim it at the same time

Level 1

Thanks Philip, yeah, just shorthand - I understand we're just reporting things.

Hairdresser is not a friend, I just moved into the area and she cut my hair and I noticed she wasn't listed, so I told her I'd fix it. I didn't expect it to take weeks!

After a bit more looking around, the local listings appear to be a dog's breakfast, so I'd like to tidy them up, but not if it's going to be this hard.

Google appears to have already updated all the listings, except with a North Carlton Convenience Store 'ghost' entry still showing up at number 579 (i.e. when you click it, it gives the address as 577). Maybe I'll give it another 24 hours to see if that entry disappears then another try.

Thanks for the tip re /business. I guess that's a fall-back, but it seems weird that there's no escalation process through this community when errors come up - with the level of work being done voluntarily by the community, you'd think it'd be a pretty low overhead for Google to provide a ticket system, at least that the senior community people could access, to reduce frustration and help ensure people don't opt out of contributing.

There are a few more missing businesses in the area that I'd like to add, but again, not if it's going to be so difficult.

Level 9
Level 9

Ah, don't let this little set back put you off. The more you do, the more you'll learn and what to look out for. Before you know it you'll be an old hand offering out advice to someone else

Level 1

Yeah, I'm just used to being able to ask a developer to fix something and it gets fixed, tested, deployed - been spoiled I guess 😉

I do think there's something lacking in the workflow with this 'Not Added' thing though - would be much better if the 'Not Added' tag in the contributions section were a link or had a help tag that linked to some sort of checklist then resolution workflow.

Even the wording 'Not Added' isn't clearly a failure, may be read as a pending state. A quick search of 'Not Added' on these forums shows dozens of cases of people duplicating effort trying to resolve it. Must be a better way.

Thanks for your help/encouragement though 🙂

Level 6

Level 9

@Pea

In the case of duplicate it would be better to have the link so that it could be merged .

So the review and photos will stand in one account .

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 1

I am still unable to add this place.

My guess is that it has something to do with Carlton Convenience Store still being associated with the address. You can see that if you enter 579 Lygon St Princes Hill into Google Maps and scroll down, you can still see the convenience store:

Entry for 579 Lygon StEntry for 579 Lygon St

Any other thoughts about how this might be rectified?