jcgorospe's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Not Applied over and over

I supposed the problem is: Why does OpenStreetMap handle this so much better than the Google Maps team?

They do not handle the problem better, but rather they do not have the problem.

OSM is a project almost exclusively edited and used by mapping geeks.

If OSM became the dominate map worldwide, they would be under constant attack by spammers and would receive bad info from non-mappers who do not understand the rules of the map; in which case they too would have to add filters.  They are not in that situation.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Former Google Contributor

Re: Pending Maps Edits

Hi @Briggs

I just moved your post back to "Feedback and Feature Request" - thanks for your feedback. We do appreciate your effort and sometimes also a Moderator can make a mistake :). Please do flag to us in case - we are monitoring the boards as consistently as possible and listening to your needs/ request the best we can. 

As you pointed out, too, putting together posts belonging to the same topic in a thread makes the boards cleaner but also gives the opportunity to exchange and create a dialogue in which all the participants may learn something valuable. 

As you might know already, all the questions and feedback are here in Connect more than welcome. All the posts are set in chronological order - so when we merge some posts into a thread, the oldest one is usually at the top. The users have the possibility to "mark as solution" the best answer in the thread which becomes thus a reference point for the person who comes next to check it. 

We/ the users also often put links to pinned articles written by Googlers as a source of further knowledge and clarification.

Thanks for highlighting that your words are coming from passion and I do understand that your intentions are good. We all are working to improve both Maps and Connect.

Hope this helps and thanks again for all your hard work!

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 8

Re: Pending Maps Edits

@MariaBi, the issue is that these edits have been pending for more than 6 months...and are very simple. Further, you say that I have the option of providing additional information to help the experts, which is not true at all. In fact, the opposite is true: I have no way of providing additional information. If I mark a location as a duplicate, there is no comments field. I can't do the legwork to help the expert and tell them which business is the original, or explain why it's a duplicate despite having a different name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does Google Maps automatically reject my edits to add a website to Amazon locker locations?

This content has been removed.
Level 7

@jcgorospe wrote:

Im having trouble adding a particular restaurant. Like you guys I have added dozens of places and had no problem..

The one in question is this one that I have all the info, photos, and  I areas filled out in the form, I was standing at the door of the place and marked with exact GPS (client was standing beside me) and I immediately (1 minute or less) got twice "Place Creation - Not Applied". So much for being a trusted photographer and level 8 Local Guide. I would have thought we would have SOME credibility... Or something.

So now what? Just keep sending it again and again? Wont I get banned?

Can a moderator help? @GusMoreira

Thanks for your help.

Juan Carlos

I am experiencing this issue as of recent....I cant do anything anymore. I am not making bad edits.

Level 7

I'd also like to know why something was denied or at least be able explain why I did an edit to whoever is denying it.   For example, I tried to correct the company name that I work for to make the capitalization correct, and it was denied.  I can submit again, but I have no way to tell whoever is reviewing it and denying me to "look closely" at my edit.  There should be some communication with the person or AI bot that did the deny.   I also agree, the trust factor should go up with the level.

Level 10

Dear @dibert,

What I can tell you is that even the most basic and simple edits are being immediately rejected, due to a recent change in the algorithm AI six weeks ago. I cannot update an unclaimed listing that spells chicken as "chiken". A Google moderator has noticed this trend and has personally escalated the request to make some tweaks, you can see it here.

If the trust increased with level, then those with high levels by reaching it by any means possible would have so many freedom and possibly even defect more. The edits are assumably based on a user's past edits, but it doesn't make sense if your past edits have been good. I'm Level 10, and I can barely get anything through.

In regards to your company, see if you can have someone who might manage the listing or an owner or such to either if not already, claim the business and then correct it via the Google My Business platform.

Connect Moderator

Hi @dibert,

I'm afraid you've been given incorrect information.  The vast majority of edits are approved.

Please read my response to the original author, and then please start your own thread with the information requested regarding your edit.  We'll then attempt to see if we can find any obvious issue with your edit.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

You are afraid of accepting the truth. Gus has made an update regarding the disproportionate denials of mapping contributions by active contributors.