jcgorospe's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Not Applied over and over

Im having trouble adding a particular restaurant. Like you guys I have added dozens of places and had no problem..

The one in question is this one that I have all the info, photos, and  I areas filled out in the form, I was standing at the door of the place and marked with exact GPS (client was standing beside me) and I immediately (1 minute or less) got twice "Place Creation - Not Applied". So much for being a trusted photographer and level 8 Local Guide. I would have thought we would have SOME credibility... Or something.

So now what? Just keep sending it again and again? Wont I get banned?

Can a moderator help? @GusMoreira

Thanks for your help.

Juan Carlos

El Salvador
34 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Not Applied over and over

[UPDATE]

First of all, thank you very much to all for raising to us the issue of denied edits and everyone who’s been posting examples of their denied edits over the course of the past weeks. Please check the update on this post: https://goo.gl/ru9mcx

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does Google Maps automatically reject my edits to add a website to Amazon locker locations?

This content has been removed.
Level 5

Where are my edits?

My entire neighborhood, 100 addresses on 7 roads, is completely wrong. Every address location.

A few years ago when the streets were renamed by the county, I successfully updated the correct street names and locations in Google Maps. A year later, I did the same in another neighborhood in the county and achieved "trusted contributer" status from GM.

I've now corrected my street address location 5 times in the last 4 months: no response, just the no-reply notice. 

I'm willing to correct all of the addresses one at a time (what a pain) but not if nothing is published.

What gives?

Level 4

Accurate Edits Denied

Hello!

I have attempted to make edits twice to the following location to properly place the map marker:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dunkin'+Donuts/@41.7612622,-88.4448582,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m11!1m5!...

the proper location is immediately south of this business:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jimmy+John's/@41.770925,-88.4449333,17z/data=!4m11!1m5!8m4!1e4!2s1...

You can see the under-construction Dunkin' Donuts (which is now open, as represented by the address, phone #, and hours on the entity at the top of this request) on the satellite layer.

My edit continues to be denied regardless of it being accurate. Any fix when the approver is denying accurate edits? I'm able to provide street view photos I've taken to verify the business is where I'm attempting to place it on a map.

Connect Moderator

Hello,

If Google could trust everyone to always make good edits then there would never be denials, but unfortunately those that purposely or innocently add bad data have resulted in the need for filters.  Sometimes those filters will give a false positive, and sometimes those filters kick in due to you unknowingly violating a rule.  You can read more in this pinned post.

In addition to the advice given there, you also have the option of providing all the data including exact GPS location, any existing POI, and exactly what data you were trying to add or edit.  With that mapping experts can look it over and let you know if there are obvious and/or likely issues that you can fix in your next attempt.

As a note, you stated you were working with the owner.  The best way for an owner to add their business is via Google My Business.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Pending Maps Edits

I've made numerous edits upwards of 6 months ago that still haven't been reviewed. This includes simple things like duplicate business names or moving a map marker to a new business location when they moved. It's frustrating that I try to keep maps up to date but Google isn't giving us the tools or manpower necessary to make that vision come true. Many pending edits don't show up on my contribution page either so unless I keep the email when I submit it, I can never get back to it.

Former Google Contributor

Re: Pending Maps Edits

Hi @austint1, @Anonymous, @Briggs @brandongalbraith and @Imashby2

We want to thank you for helping in such a passionate way to keep Google Maps fresh and accurate. I moved your posts here in this thread - as it has a similar topic. I will suggest next time to search the community before posting - as others may have asked your question (and received an answer) already. 

Allow me to explain how edits works. 

Every edit submitted to Google Maps passes through automated systems that analyse different factors, such as the information submitted, the location of the edit, your mapping activity, and other factors to make sure everything we are adding to the map is accurate and follows our guidelines. If we are not sure the edit is accurate, it may be listed as Denied. If your edit status is listed as Pending, it means we need to take a closer look at the information, which can take some time to verify through our staff and other Local Guides through "Check the Facts".

Please have a look to the advice in the post. As @Flash suggested, too, in this thread, you also have the option of providing all the data including exact GPS location, any existing POI, and exactly what data you were trying to add or edit - and thus providing further information to the mapping experts.

Many thanks to all again for your work and patience!

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 10

Re: Pending Maps Edits

Dear @MariaBi,

While I appreciate that these posts have been moved to a single thread, the fact that the idea within my thread has been reduced to nothing and archived to someone else's post is extremely saddening. I wanted to come up with some sort of feedback, or an clever (albeit satirical) idea of what it might look like if we received an email that was 'not applied' and also strategies and ideas to combat it somehow through a regional lead referral or an appeal ticket. In fact, I wasn't even asking for that case example to be even looked at or addressed. I just wanted some food for thought, but I guess that's already digested.

It is revolting that the top post of this thread is someone else's report, which makes me very hesitant to report further cases against this thread. If you want me to even consider even putting down what I indeed believe should be correct, then please create a master post, started by a Connect or Google moderator with all your explicit instructions there as the top post, and then allow us to provide the details of the edits and data we need to escalate to a highly trusted "map expert" therein.

Furthermore, if Flash hasn't already looked at it, I have already compiled a massively comprehensive database of edits that I believe should be effective and applied. Although this screenshot doesn't include 'Website', 'Hours' and 'Place Additions' as it's an older screenshot about a week ago, this one holds up to 1,200 individual edits, with barely any of them crossing over categories. Of course for an expert mapper, this cannot be held true or slightly considered because mappers cannot look at every single case that they are provided, let alone a couple thousand. Eventually you're going to have to allow for more users to be delegated and trusted as expert mappers, because the world is turning fast and the user base growing with every minute. And the current perceived issues that we are currently facing with almost everything being not applied is not our fault but possibly the recently tweaked algorithms (around October 9) that will not be circumvented by simply a matter of 'collecting more information and suggesting another edit'.

The database of not applied edits. I keep a good solid track of each one that hopefully one day Google would be able to use as information to combat the GMB offenders and even it's own system algorithms.The database of not applied edits. I keep a good solid track of each one that hopefully one day Google would be able to use as information to combat the GMB offenders and even it's own system algorithms.

Now I ask, and I really don't intend the tone for this post to be an attack or rude (my apologies if it does! My passion often equates with raging wildfires...). Will you create a master post with either yours or Flash's instructions as follows:

"You have the option providing all the data including exact GPS location, any existing POI, and exactly what data you were trying to add or edit - and thus providing further information to the mapping experts."

Ensure that the top post is either created by a Google or Connect moderator. Think of it as a workshop, that you as the moderators can manage and monitor in real time. This will allow moves to that post to help the forum be cleaner by consolidating all the information into one ongoing thread.

If that cannot be, then just help me with this one request, and I'll be done.

Please edit the website of the Mount Druitt Rotary Park to the council's websitehttps://www.blacktown.nsw.gov.au/Recreation/Parks-and-recreation/Mount-Druitt-Rotary-Park

Level 4

I supposed the problem is: Why does OpenStreetMap handle this so much better than the Google Maps team? If Google operates at a scale where someone will have their edits rejected for black box reasons (because Google doesn't have the resources to resolve the issue manually, and leaves it up to algorithms to determine if the edits are "proper"), why should map editors spend their efforts on Google Map edits?

After having most of my edits accepted, and only when trying to fix a business placeholder's location multiple times (and having it denied repeatedly) having it denied with no explanation, I'll move back to contributing to OpenStreetMap.

Connect Moderator

Re: Why does Google Maps automatically reject my edits to add a website to Amazon locker locations?

@Anonymous

Amazon lockers are not mappable items.  To be mapped, businesses must have a storefront with staff available during business hours to help unannounced walk in customers.

The only exceptions to the staffing rule are specifically ATMs, express mail boxes and movie rental kiosks.

As a note for your other future edits, the name should never contain descriptors.  "Isobel" and "Imogen" would be considered descriptors.  When a business has multiple locations (ie. is a chain) then each location should be named the same.  The only exception is for hotels.  (The actual rule is that descriptors are only allowed when integral to the name, but that is another discussion)

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages