SovitaD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: No option for "Suggest an edit" , "Add a Photo" and "Write a Review&amp

Hi @LucioV 

Thanks for the suggestion will try it that way also and glad to get the list of category  which is definitely going to be useful in future additions of missing places 🙂  

Connect Moderator

Hello @SovitaD,

A point and a polygon cannot be combined.

The process described should only be followed if the feature was incorrectly set up as a polygon when it in fact should have always been a point.  The details of the process can be found here.

If this is a named building, then it was correct to set it up as a polygon and you should not follow that process.  From what I can see that is the situation.  As I previously stated, only certain features can have photos added.  Buildings are not one of those features.

Perhaps with a better description of just what you are trying to add we can determine if this is actually a place within a building rather than a building.  Please describe in detail the place and it's features.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

Finally it worked, newly added POI is now published though few edits are still pending for Rastriya Sabha Griha
Thanks  @Flash  @LucioV @Anonymous @PushpendraKhadka for guiding throughout the process 🙂 

Level 10

@SovitaD wrote:

Finally it worked, newly added POI is now published though few edits are still pending for Rastriya Sabha Griha
Thanks  @Flash  @LucioV @Anonymous @PushpendraKhadka for guiding throughout the process 🙂 

Glad to read this @SovitaD! Happy mapping! 🙂

Level 8

I encounter places like this as well, but it's not clear how to correct it.

So far, the only thing I have noticed is that if I take pictures in the place (this one is a park) and then WAIT, sometimes Google will notice it and send me a reminder "Add your photos to ????/someplace else"  This allowed me to upload pictures but I cannot correct information such as hours of operation, contact info or even write a review.

Here's a link to one such place: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Windrow+Park,+802+Owens+River+Dr,+Oxnard,+CA+93036

Level 8

This would be a fine solution *IF WE WERE BEING PAID ON AN HOURLY BASIS*.   Here's your scenario:  I visit a park (or a building, as another poster reported.).  I see that the place exists, but it's missing important information, like the hours of operation, a phone number to contact, or there are some important tips that we might suggest to help other visitors get more out of their experiences.  HOWEVER, we're NOT allowed to easily submit.

Instead, you suggest that we attempt to create ANOTHER business, wait for THAT business to be approved (assuming some other guide does NOT properly notice that it's a duplicate and DENY it.).  THEN, after some unspecified period of time, we contact Google and ask for the two places to be merged.   This is MUCH more inefficient than the "work-around" that Google is discouraging us from using. 

On the other hand, I am *NOT* getting paid to submit photos or post corrections (I doubt you are either), so the idea of a Rube Goldberg-type process where I have to jump thru multiple hoops, over a period of many days, just to try to provide free assistance, just doesn't seem like a reasonable course of action.

Like the suggestion recently posted (but somehow now deleted) by @Findme, I would like to know what the rationale is for preventing us from helping.  It's allowed for so many places, but forbidden in these cases.  Why can't this be fixed?  Or, can someone post an explanation of what horrid/risky outcome could arise if we are allowed to review our visit to a park or to correct the phone number for a location?  If this is somehow hurting people or putting lives at risk, then I think all the guides would agree and drop the topic.  But as it is, I'm baffled.

Connect Moderator

@California-Daniel, if you do not wish to make the update you do not need to do so.

Why can't this be fixed?

It can be.  These are the instructions to report it to be fixed.

The issue is that some other user like yourself set the park up wrong, despite clear instructions at the time as to how it should be done.  Later, due to past extreme abuses, public access to polygon editing had to be completely removed; thus reporting it is a bit more convoluted now.  Google did not mess these features up, users such as yourself did.  Google did not want to cut off the ability to fix them directly, but users such as yourself abused their ability to do so.  To be clear, I'm not saying that you have bad intentions, but when Google has tried to allow users such as you and myself to have the access level you want, users have misused and abused it, and thus it can't be offered any longer.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 8

You kind of ARE saying that I (me personally, or some other person just like me) had "bad intentions."  In fact, THREE times you accused me of being a bad actor, or at least being too stupid to follow "clear instructions."

The only good part of your comment was that you admitted that moderators such as yourself ALSO (somehow) abused the ability to post reviews, so Google had to remove it from everyone.

I'm still genuinely unclear on why it's perfectly acceptable for "users such as yourself" (myself) may post tips and reviews for a business, but you consider it potentially abusive when we're reviewing a park or trying to suggest a correct phone number for the city agency that maintains the park.

If I was to post an abusive or off-topic review, wouldn't that easily be handled thru the normal process?  I've occasionally had to report reviews that were off-topic or contained abusive information.  Google didn't have to restrict ALL users (and even moderators, according to you) from submitting reviews just because of somebody's mistake.

Or, if I was to post a phone number where people who want to contact the city with questions about the park, just as I have helped with for MANY businesses, and my correction was actually WRONG, wouldn't another guide just deny it?  I've had the system ask me many times to confirm edits.  Google will pop-up a box that says "We need some human help" and then ask me to confirm something another user has suggested.  Maybe it's an update to hours of operation or a phone number, but either way, the system seems to be OK with asking for a confirmation instead of just saying "No! we don't allow corrections OR reviews".

As for your comment that the only way to post a review or edit is to create a duplicate place (and hope that duplication manages to sneak past other users, so that it can later be merged), I don't think that's a great long-term solution.  We're all volunteers here, right?

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on this and for being a moderator.  I think we're all just trying to make the world a little bit better.

Connect Moderator

You have clearly not understood most of what was posted.

To begin, I said other users.  "Users" meaning not Googlers and "other" meaning not you or me.  Just in case you might misinterpret I made a clarifying statement right in the post, ensuring my meaning was clear.

I also at no time stated that your attempts to review a park are being stopped to prevent you from leaving abusive reviews; rather the entire point of this post is to explain how you can request changes so that you can leave you reviews.  You are unable to leave a review because a past user set the park up wrong, it is as simple as that.  You can request that it get set up right by the process provided.

You also have a misunderstanding of how things are reviewed.  Other Local Guides are not who are going to decide whether a new feature is added to the map.  Reviewing is done by Google via algorithms and employees, with a small amount of information from Local Guides used to help guide the algorithms; but Local Guides never make the entire determination nor are they ever asked to provide feedback about every aspect of a feature in one of those questions.

As such I'm afraid I can't address your points as they conflict with what information was provided in this thread.  All I can do is recommend you re-read what has already been said.

Level 6

I have been unable to comprehend all the responses including yours on this question - my question is "the edit option is locked" how to correct wrong information or add information.

I understand that establishment level or set but that is no help - if it is wrong it is wrong and needs to be changed irrespective of how it was first setup.

How do you suggest (and hopefully that doesnt mean you dont know or pass it to someone else), that changes be made where the site does not have an edit option, whether it is locked or did not/does not have an option?

There are many - many - many, so whoever first created it and did not give it an edit option is simply stupid and whoever designed it without having an edit option is even dumber, both have no business in this world. Moving forward we need to be able to make the corrections - what is being done to make that happen.

Im only interested in correcting information not on how the program works (or doesnt work!)

Thank you