JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

New categories added but currently only usable in English?

Back in February, I added a post about car categories, pointing out that dealership for a number of popular brands were missing. In a list of the categories available in Maps I downloaded in March, categories for those brands were not included, but in a list I downloaded just now they are: a comparison of the 2 lists shows that 38 categories were added, mainly restaurant types (for a specific region or type of food) and car dealers (Citroen, Peugeot, Skoda, Smart, MINI, Seat). Obviously I have no clue whether or not my post had anything to do with the new categories, but one could certainly interpret it as a sign that Googlers do follow up on suggestions made here (contrary to what is often claimed here).

When trying to use those new car categories, however, I notice that I can only select them when my Maps interface is set to English; in other languages, the categories simply do not show up for selection. So, my question now: when will the new categories be available in other languages? (I assume that it is a matter of translations that still need to be made/added)

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: New categories added but currently only usable in English?

Hello @JanVanHaver,

Google generally does not provide timelines of their future plans and actions; I'm afraid there is no answer that can be provided.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

As always, thank you @Flash for replying so swiftly.

And what about the fact whether or not translated versions of those new categories are planned? Can that be confirmed?

You know there's at least 1 Skoda dealer I would like to correct 😉

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Hello @JanVanHaver,

No, I'm afraid that can't be confirmed either.

Please remember, Google is a business; they cannot stay ahead of their competition by telling everyone their plans.

And for small issues, the amount of time emails would have to snake through various people to reach the person that would handle it would take much longer than the actual work; allowing such inquiries would slow changes down significantly.

The best thing to do is to use Your Opinions About Maps withing Send Feedback to note the need for such changes.  Your contributions would be combined with everyone else's to help Google decide how to prioritize future changes.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages