NDBG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

New Google Local Guide members

Hey Googlers,

For all you new local guide members out there have a bit of advice for you when it comes to Google photography....

Try to keep in mind that the entire world will most likely be viewing your photography work at some point in time in their life. It's not directly doing it they will at least have access to it worldwide. As you begin your journey as a new Google local guide, try to get in the habit of taking your photographs with some part of yourself in them, something representing you. It's like an artist signing his paintings. This way when somebody Googles a location and picture they will recognize you and your photography artwork!!!

Be smart out there and strive to excel!!!

Mike Banks

Fresno, CA, United States
17 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: New Google Local Guide members

I'm sorry, but this advice is not appropriate.  We are taking pictures of places and what can be found at the place.  The photographer is neither of those things.

Please remember what the picture is about, the place, not about you.  You are assisting others by letting them know what they can find there, which is not you.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9
Level 9

@NDBG wrote:

try to get in the habit of taking your photographs with some part of yourself in them, something representing you

Google recently provided a photography guide https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/How-to-Upload-Great-Photos-to-Google-Maps/ba-p/98... and didn't mention this. Putting yourself in photos seems like dubious advice perhaps creating awkward shots, the most important thing about photos is that they should be helpful for the end map users.  All photos will have the LGs name on anyway

Level 8

Thanks for the photo guide link. 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/cmxpv89733/board/message?board.id=LGDiscussion&message.id=142358#M142358
Level 5

To GreggG & PhilipF,

This is a COMMUNITY project. I'm sure Google would Love a few pictures of families enjoying a place or two. Google is based on the idea of open sourceness... yes I just made that word up, open sourceness. It means we are connecting every human being to every other human being. Anybody can be a local guide. Since when was positive human interaction a bad thing, it even boosts advertisement for the location, so Im sure they wont mind.. as a matter of fact I havent ever had a business owner so no let-alone get upset.

So cool down and take a union break, come back refreshed because the online Google community is anvironment of only positivity and encouragement for success in all areas. Pay attention to the detail of innovation and you wont overlook these things next time.

Thank you,

Michael Banks

Level 9
Level 9

@NDBG wrote:

This is a COMMUNITY project. 

I'm not sure it is. Maps is a commercial product owned by Google. Their product, their rules though they do invite people to contribute within the guidelines they set.

Like your 'critical thinking' tag! Big up the enlightenment 

Connect Moderator

As Michael says, this is not an open source community project.  This is Google's map, and they determine the rules.  Please do not make suggestions outside of the rules they provided.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 8

i disagree ! recently @AnnaDickson published a article regarding How to Upload Great Photos to Google Maps 

please refer that article 🙂 

Connect Moderator

Hi @NalinK,

That article reinforces that the pictures are to be about the place.  Nowhere in there does it suggest that you should try to get into every photo.

Level 9
Level 9

Hi Gregg, I think Nalin was disagreeing with the OP,  not with you (or me) and cited the article to make that point (even though I'd already cited it further up the thread)