mateusmillian's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Name of Places

Hello!

Let me give you guys an example: there's subway chain. Normally when there's one, there are many at the same city.

How do you name every one of them?

Usually the owners put some reference like a shopping's name or a reference point's name (Subway XXX Shopping Centre/Subway XXX Lake).

How are we suppose to deal with that? Should we change to only "Subway" as the name of the place or should we leave "Subway + reference point"?

That is merely an example, but I think it is clear to understand what I'm struggling with.

3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Name of Places

Hello @mateusmillian, I know exactly what you mean, and it is indeed often a tough decision. My reply for now: 'depends' 😀

Factors I usually take into account: 

* How is it already entered for the majority of the shops

* How do they refer to the shops on their own website (or Shopfinder module on it).

If you want, you can check out some 'Best practice' post I have published here on similar topics, like this one: 

Best Practice: ALL CAPS / all lowercase
https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Best-practice-ALL-CAPS-all-lowercase/td-p/6...

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 5

Thanks!

I was looking for something like this. It will be a lot helpful.

Level 9

Hi @mateusmillian:

Great discussion that you and @JanVanHaver

I'm going to move this over to the mapping subforum as it would be more appropriate there.

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!