KenGauger's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

NOT APPLIED · Place creation

I submitted 3 overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway at the same time; 2 were "NOT APPLIED · Place creation" and 1 was "APPROVED - Place creation" - all seemed to be automated.  I used the coordinates of the photos in all 3 cases and drug the marker to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

BalsamGapSignMin.jpgRabbKnobSignMin.jpgTheOrchardsSignMin.jpg

Balsam Gap Overlook
Blue Ridge Pkwy, Waynesville, NC 28786, USA

Rabb Knob Overlook

The Orchards Overlook
APPROVED - Place creation

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for "APPROVED - Place creation" vs "NOT APPLIED · Place creation" and the situation is discouraging.

Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville, NC, United States
7 comments
Level 7

Re: NOT APPLIED · Place creation

Greetings from the Wilmington, NC area!

OK, Im not a Googler and don't know how the creation approval process works.  

However, I noticed a characteristic of the two non-approved features that was not the same for the feature that was approved.  Turning on the satellite view, I saw that the marker for the Orchards Overlook placed it on the road -- both where the satellite view showed it and where the map showed it.

However, the markers for the two others were located in unpaved, natural spots away from the road.

Therefore, you might get them approved if you resubmitted the requests with markers that are directly on the Blue Ridge Parkway itself 

Level 7

I used the coordinates of the photos of the overlook markers to get to the area.  I then drug the Google marker to the road to get the address field on the Parkway.  Since no one seems to know why Google accepts some places and rejects other places, I guess we will continue operating in the dark.  The "NOT APPLIED - Place creation" happens so fast, I doubt there is any human interaction in the process.  

Level 7

Well, I tried doing what I suggested be done and I got a NOT APPLIED, too.
So I did not have the correct solution.
Can anyone help us with other suggestions?

Level 7

I have looked for other solutions and no one really seems to understand why some places are accepted & others denied by Google Maps.  If I cannot get an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway accepted when the info is correct, I have resorted to associating the overlook to a place that is nearby.  Not the solution I wanted.  I couldn't get the Rabb Knob Overlook accepted but Balsam Gap was a mile away.  Now I have Rabb Knob Overlook & Balsam Gap Overlook associated with Balsam Gap.

Level 7

Last week I ran across this Base Map Partner Program page, which led me to the though that the National Park Service has some relationship with Google that is causing Google's map editing algorithms to not approve some editing feedback because it is not coming from the 'owner' of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

It might be worthwhile to see if NPS --which recognizes the existence of these overlooks because, I presume, they put the signs up-- is willing to provide the relevant GIS data to Google for the overlooked overlooks.

Level 9

Hi @KenGauger

The most common reasons you will hear for this kind of issues are:

1. Low trust level of Local Guide (As you give more correct edit your trust level increases)
  2. Not all the places can be mapped in Google Map.
  3. Not proper detail information for the edit.
flagnepal acetreks.gif  - Nepal | YouTube
Level 8

@sputnikjim

Thank you for sharing that website. I noticed they are still promoting Map Maker on the related page.

When Google is seeking these authoritative data contributors, I wonder why the unofficial regional communities are not asked to promote these programs. I live close to a National Park in Spain and a LOT of data related to the national park is wrong. Since I am not interested in hunting for points, I already asked myself, if it would be a smart idea to talk to the local N.P. authorities and get things sorted. This website is of great help, because it gives me something that I can show to them that applies to them, particularly with a quote from another park service in another country.

What we are missing are ambassadors that promote Google Map related programs to associations and authorities. All these industries, like N.P. services have their own conferences, internal newsletters, etc. All we need is local ambassadors to invite themselves as a speaker at a local conference to showcase some of the successes what can be achieved by utilising Google Maps and Google would have a lot more of these trusted content partners. I much rather spend my time contributing like that, than being told that as an unofficial Local Guides Community we should be writing travel guide content, as if we were writing our own  "lonely planet guide". I see there is also value in that, as we are called guides, but surely, the core is to get the Map data complete and accurate? Or am I missing a point?

The world is full of opportunities and collaboration is key.

Jeroen