Niecieden's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: NOT APPLIED · Place creation

Lot's of food for thought here! I did enter the opening date in my original attempt via my mobile, but I can now see how many factors are involved with submissions. I guess for many of us, it's having an immediate 'Not Applied' without explanation that's frustrating. Although this is my first time in the forums, I've created a fair few entries on Maps but not experienced anything as complex as this one!

Level 10

Ahh, the contrary.

Over time I have added many different places all around the world, in Sydney, in Cincinnati, in the Philippines, and in London. A few months ago I had to add a few hotels and accommodation lodges of a start-up company that my extended-family runs, and so using that information I added those on their behalf. For as much as freedom is given to us Google Maps users, any communication of these rules, wherever written (in the forms of a representation of business or adding a new place) or through Google correspondence (whether it's a post or written by a Googler) I will take into consideration.

Niecieden actually has been a local guide longer than I have actually, establishing her LGC profile in August 2016. Myself only from April 2017 (although I only really ever started contributing from December 2016 onwards, I have probably gone up a few levels and many more contributions).

In response to your second post, whereas their Instagram might show that it's officially opening in September, there was a soft launch, as she had advised and as I have written. There are many places that are either under construction, non-operational, or haven't officially opened/launched yet. Examples being:

• @SumuduH's post about the Lotus Tower Site. that is still currently under construction. The phone number in the listing is the contact number of the telecommunications company that will be operating the tower once complete.
  • Iglu Redfern, a student housing centre that's due to open in 2018. It looked pretty so I uploaded a picture.
  • Husk and Vine Kitchen. I previously posted about this place because I was invited to dine here two weeks prior to it's official opening. Previously having issues trying to add this place, eventually I got through with a slight change in the name too.

I myself as a pretty keen and known foodie get invited to eat at many different restaurants, sometimes even before its soft launch. I also oversee Development Applications (DAs) of the local council. The soft launch could be a few days, and the earliest I've experienced were three weeks away. In this way, when I do get to talk to the business owners and social media teams, I let them know that I've successfully added their place in preparation of their opening so that they can claim their business and start advertising, including featuring their images on Google Maps to excellent collaboration.

Whether adding the opening or closing date doesn't really affect if a place gets added or not. But what actually gets a place to start appearing in Google Maps from what I know is foot/GPS-traffic, that many people are frequenting this certain location and then Google Maps starts to display that place more visibly.

Should the abovementioned added listing be a sort of duplicate, I do implore the listing to appear, and a designed opening date to display as follows in a future listing that can be verified/confirmed by a claimant.

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 08.47.58.png

Anywho, all is okay for now since the place was added. As an evolving community, we learn together. And sometimes rules can adapt or change over time according to current societal standards. Sometimes even the law/rule-maker doesn't even follow its own rules (e.g. not having the suburb at the end of a place or being all in capital letters), many legitimate edits being not applied. Some business claimed listings might also be a little misdirected with some guidelines, and it's okay to make some small mistakes sometimes. As much as we know, we do our best, we address issues fairly, and stamp out bad behaviours that undermine the integrity of such an open-user system Google entrusts us with.

Regards,

B.

Level 8

Thank you for all your support and advice on this entry @Briggs. I think I may take a long deep breath before I add a brand new place in the future!

Had me thinking too . . . I can see that my profile has me as being a Google Local Guide since last year, although I've been one since 2013 when the program started and was called Google City Experts. Blimey =:0

Connect Moderator

I'd encourage you not to let this impede you from adding more places and making more edits; just realize that massive group editing is going to mean that no one will have 100% of their edits applied.  As long as your expectations are thus, you won't be disappointed and overall you will be greatly helping with making the map a better resource for all.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

This thread has developed fast and is now having education value.

Thank you very much for asking an interesting question to allow this to happen, @Niecieden!

Mapping is a complicated subject, and at Connect we can leverage the expertise of our fellow LGs and our experts.

We can learn much faster and achieve more in this way.

Don't let the pendings and rejects scare us, actually they are the push for us to be a better Mapper.

Level 9

First let's Welcome you @Niecieden , this is your Post on Connect , 🎉🎉🎉😊😊😊

hope the issue will resolve for this particular Place , 

Sometimes we get the same , we add new places and not applied add it again or just move the location little bit this work with me , if it's not applied it's okay I will add another place it's not personal issue with the system 🙂

Many thanks to all 🙂

@Niecieden wrote:

Lot's of food for thought here! I did enter the opening date in my original attempt via my mobile, but I can now see how many factors are involved with submissions. I guess for many of us, it's having an immediate 'Not Applied' without explanation that's frustrating. Although this is my first time in the forums, I've created a fair few entries on Maps but not experienced anything as complex as this one!