Niecieden's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: NOT APPLIED · Place creation

What an interesting name for a restaurant!

Most likely the place would've been rejected because of such a term.

I know of a place that kept on being rejected that I tried to add because it also had an obscene word in it, entitled PupNPussy. Note that the words are put together. From what I see at 63-64 Frith St London, there used to be a restaurant named Arbutus. I presume this restaurant has replaced the premises.

@Niecieden, I've added the place as FlavourBastard (without the space) and it was successful. How excellent! I didn't add the hours though, feel free to make any other updates. But what are the next steps from here?

• You, or someone else can advise the owner to claim the listing as their business, and then see if they are able to change the name at their end to something verifiable.
  • If because of naming conventions/censorship the word cannot be by itself, I think there are rules being applied. I do implore on finding and trying alternatives to the name, examples being Flavour Bastrd, Flavour BastΔrd or something similar to bypass such rules (unless it becomes really picky with spelling errors and/or special characters.)

Found in Instagram. Note the crossed out A.Found in Instagram. Note the crossed out A.

• Otherwise, enjoy the created listing. Looks like you attended their soft launch, and their offerings look darn fantastic! 

Thanks for posting up your question and your continued contributions as a valued Local Guide!

Level 8

Rif.: NOT APPLIED · Place creation

@Flash wrote:

This issue has been discussed many times of the forum, I encourage you to search and read over what was said in those rather than trying to create a new thread on the same topic.

If you are instead looking for specific advice as to what might be causing the issue, please supply full details of the edit; making guesses without details serves little purpose. We would need the exact location and precisely what you filled into each blank.

@ColinUKtyke, if you wish similar advice then please start your own thread.

Hi @Flash

I am brand new to the Local Guides forum having tried to add a genuine place and simply wanting to know how to resolve an issue with my entry being rejected for what seems to be an issue around the trading name. I can, of course, read through the threads if there is a solution to this specific problem. I take my role as a trusted guide seriously and simply want to create a new entry and did not appreciate that I was going about this the wrong way. A moderator on another board moved my query here. I am not sure what you mean about making guesses when I have made every effort to give details, online review and other means of verifying the restaurant. 

I can, of course supply all the details, photographs, business card etc that I put into my original entry but don't know how to go about this other than attempting to create a new entry within Google Maps. I'm doing my best here and trying to be helpful in getting a new restaurant on Maps. I feel I'm being told off for trying.

Connect Moderator

@Briggs

Thank you for your assistance, but please do remember that the rules of the map are that you must be using your personal knowledge to add a place.

Assuming your edit matches identically to what @Niecieden was attempting, in all likelihood you were able to add this place simply because you have a higher trust editing trust level. 

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash, what constitutes personal knowledge? Does it require a physical presence and or/sensory verification to be considered personal knowledge? The knowledge that I brought up were added all in its entirety based on the original post, given the website, finding the restaurant's Instagram and doing a bit of research as well. Unless that turns to Shared Knowledge however, then I wouldn't be sure.

Note it isn't particularly about trust levels or anything of the sort. It's just simply adding the place without the space, and bypassing such a rule. My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Level 8

@Briggs wrote:

What an interesting name for a restaurant!

Most likely the place would've been rejected because of such a term.

I know of a place that kept on being rejected that I tried to add because it also had an obscene word in it, entitled PupNPussy. Note that the words are put together. From what I see at 63-64 Frith St London, there used to be a restaurant named Arbutus. I presume this restaurant has replaced the premises.

@Niecieden, I've added the place as FlavourBastard (without the space) and it was successful. How excellent! I didn't add the hours though, feel free to make any other updates. But what are the next steps from here?

• You, or someone else can advise the owner to claim the listing as their business, and then see if they are able to change the name at their end to something verifiable.
  • If because of naming conventions/censorship the word cannot be by itself, I think there are rules being applied. I do implore on finding and trying alternatives to the name, examples being Flavour Bastrd, Flavour BastΔrd or something similar to bypass such rules (unless it becomes really picky with spelling errors and/or special characters.)

Found in Instagram. Note the crossed out A.Found in Instagram. Note the crossed out A.

• Otherwise, enjoy the created listing. Looks like you attended their soft launch, and their offerings look darn fantastic! 

Thanks for posting up your question and your continued contributions as a valued Local Guide!

Hi there @Briggs

Thank you so much for such a helpful reply! I'll go and fill in the details straight away. My original entry included hours, website and photos, so I'll go add them now. Not sure about messing with the name as this would be a misrepresentation.

Yes, we went to the soft launch, it's a great new place and yes, it has replaced Arbutus which I marked as permanently closed before attempting to add Flavour B*.  The executive chef holds supper clubs at his home and we've been blown away by his cooking, so this new venture is exciting. I'll get in touch with them about verifying themselves with Maps, I'm sure they would hate not to be included!

You're a hero!

Connect Moderator

Rif.: NOT APPLIED · Place creation

@Niecieden, I'm sorry if my intention did not come across correctly.

Your post so far was just a general complaint that you had an edit rejected.  For all posts of any sort on any forum it is best to first search the forum to see if your topic has already been covered, and to either use that advice or join the conversation in that thread (if the thread is not about a specific item).  That was all that I was asking; as it makes the forum hard to use for advice if the same topic is repeatedly posted.

If, however, you do want specific advice on a specific edit, then we can't help you without details.  In this case we would need the GPS coordinates, the exact name used, the exact address used, the exact phone number and website used, the length of time since the edit, the results of the edit so far, etc.

Without those details we are guessing. Someone can guess "Oh, a name like that is always auto rejected"; but the reality might be that you have formatted the address incorrectly.

Your edits are appreciated and we are here to help you; all we ask is that you ensure your issue is not already in discussion and that if you need help you provide complete details.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

@Flash, what constitutes personal knowledge? Does it require a physical presence and or/sensory verification to be considered personal knowledge?

In most cases, yes.

Google is quite capable of creating bots that can scrape data off of other maps, websites, databases, etc.  They don't, though, because that would be copyright violation each time it is done.

Instead they partner with many different data sources to gain permission to use the data.  They also offer the public the oppurtunity to add their personal knowledge through edits.

The knowledge that I brought up were added all in its entirety based on the original post, given the website, finding the restaurant's Instagram and doing a bit of research as well.

Just as Google could not use those source, neither can you.  This is why there is a personal knowledge requirement; you must be providing your data to which you can release the rights to Google.

Note it isn't particularly about trust levels or anything of the sort. It's just simply adding the place without the space, and bypassing such a rule.

I'm afraid that there is no way to know.  You have been editing the map for a long time while @Niecieden is a new user, you most certainly have more trust than her which is a factor that the algorithms consider.  As we don't know all the differences between your edit and her's we don't know if any of them caused the difference in acceptance.  Even if there were no differences, it still could be almost anything in the edit that caused the denial and thus could be your trust level that caused it to be accepted.  As a former reviewer I can tell you, however, that the algorithms kick names such as these out to the reviewers rather than rejecting them; there would need to be more issues to result in a denial.

But please don't consider it an inconvenience; Google has been poor on communicating the rules as of late and thus why you must learn them in this way.  That certainly is not your fault.

Connect Moderator

@Niecieden, from the image posted by @Briggs, I understand that this place is not yet open.  If so, that is likely why your edit was rejected.  @Briggs higher trust level would make the algorithms reconsider what they have found themselves about the place; but in the end if a place is under construction it is not to be mapped.  Can I ask when it does open?

Level 8

The restaurant opened earlier this week for it's soft launch - 22 August - and I was there for a meal yesterday. Here's an online article about it.

Connect Moderator

Nonetheless, they are not fully open, and that's probably why you had issues.  If nothing else, there is little information out there for the algorithms to use to confirm your edit.

There is a new feature out, so far only in the mobile version, where one can add an opening date.  In the future using that will increase your chances of success on brand new places.

Before the opening data feature the rule was that a place could be added to the map two weeks before it's opening.  I'd assume that the opening date in September is within 2 weeks; soft launches are not normally done much further in advance.  I thus think this should be fine to leave, especially since it is under partial operation; but you'll know what to do with them in the future.  🙂

There is also the possibility that someone already added the feature and provided the opening date.  If so, it would be hidden on the map until that date, but your edit could have been rejected for being a duplicate.  It is also possible that the owners have already claimed it via Google My Business; claims do not appear on the map until the process is complete, which can take a couple of week; but again your attempt then could have been detected to be a duplicate.  In those cases the change in name that @Briggs applied might have made system not realize it's a duplicate.

As you can see, there is so many factors into adding features that we can rarely be sure of the cause of the rejection; but thank you for your diligence in making sure the feature got mapped!