DaveBooth's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

My "Approved - place creation" has disappeared - ( Logan Rock, St Levan, Penzance ) "Can't Connect".

Some time last year (I believe), I had an edit for a Place Creation approved. The place was mapped as a Historical Landmark called Logan Rock.

Location details -

Immediately adjacent to location - https://goo.gl/maps/y9Fr71xXPKP2

( exact location, but says "can't connect" - https://goo.gl/maps/ECyXnMZQz4k ).

9C2P29R7+GC

50°02'28.9"N 5°38'11.3"W

50.041361, -5.636468

I (with other Local Guides), had posted a number of photos along with reviews. I noticed today that the place and it's associated photos have disappeared from Google Maps. This is somewhat disappointing as it's a well known historical landmark and place to walk to along the coastal path, with beautiful views. Historical, due to the story behind the balancing Logan Rock being pushed off in 1824 by a group from the British Navy, and the cost to them for having to hoist it back into place again as a "balancing" stone.

I could find the area as a suggested place when I typed it into the "Add a Location to this Discussion" box whilst writing this, but the location map doesn't appear alongside the text.

Is anyone able to trace how and/or why this has been removed from the map please. Is it possible to retrieve it?

Here are a couple of screen-shots from my tablet showing the photos that were posted to the location.

Screenshot showing Logan Rock photos within ContributionsScreenshot showing Logan Rock photos within ContributionsScreenshot showing Logan Rock photos within ContributionsScreenshot showing Logan Rock photos within Contributions

Also, the location in my list of Edits still shows "Approved", but the icon no-longer links directly to the place on the map, as the other approved edits do. 

Logan Rock (at the top) still showing "Approved".Logan Rock (at the top) still showing "Approved".

Logan Rock, St Levan, Penzance, UK
10 comments
Level 8

Re: My "Approved place creation" has disappeared - ( Logan Rock, St Levan, Penzance )

I just checked the map and I could locate a named icon for Logan Rock, but no photos and nothing is editable - unable to add photos or edit location in any way. A pop-up appears saying "can't connect". The "more info" screen is now blank (which wasn't previously the case)

Is this a glitch, or has someone had the details / photos removed for some strange reason?

Tapping "more info" shows blank screen now.Tapping "more info" shows blank screen now.Location icon still visible (but tapping it - says "can't connect"Location icon still visible (but tapping it - says "can't connect"

Level 8

Re: My "Approved - place creation" has disappeared - ( Logan Rock, St Levan, Penzance )

@GusMoreira - I was wondering whether you might be able to shine any light on the matter, with your expertise in mapping? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, when you've time. The mapped place had attracted some attention and input from other Local Guides, due to the popularity of the location. 

Cheers,

Dave.

Level 8

Re: My "Approved - place creation" has disappeared - ( Logan Rock, St Levan, Penzance ) &q

Hello @Flash - I've seen you've recently commented on an issue relating to Historical Landmarks, and was wondering if you might know why my edit is still showing on the map but shows "can't connect"? It'd been on the map for around a year before it recently had this problem.

Cheers.

Connect Moderator

Re: My "Approved - place creation" has disappeared - ( Logan Rock, St Levan, Penzance ) &a

Hi Dave,

I see you've read my explanation about historical landmarks.  From that you should probably understand that a rock is not a historical landmark.  If that's unclear or if I've misunderstood your question please do tell me more.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Re: My "Approved - place creation" has disappeared - ( Logan Rock, St Levan, Penzance ) &a

Hi Flash,

Thanks for replying. Although there is a plaque at the site identifying the balancing stone / Logan Rock which was put back in place by the navy in 1824 - I'll accept this might not be enough to identify the location as a Historical Landmark. I had originally tried to map the location as a Tourist Attraction, which I'd understood should be correct, but this was marked Not Accepted. The only thing I changed was it's classification which was accepted at the time. 

The location had been mapped (incorrectly classified?) for around a year and I'd have been more than happy if someone had changed the classification to something else if they felt it was not a Historical Landmark. I was disappointed to see it apparently "removed" without knowing why, so wished to understand what had occurred and thought Local Guides Connect might be the place to find out.

What I was trying to determine here was why the mapped site had suddenly changed to "can't connect" with all the details hidden from view. If the place has been temporarily closed, again, I'd accept the fact that the marker should reflect this, but I simply wanted to know if this was the reason. If it is an unlikely error in the map, I'd hoped it could be corrected. 

If I've placed this request in the wrong section of the forum, then I apologise and ask for it to be sent to a preferable area. My intention wasn't to annoy anyone but to find out why and what had happened to the mapped location.

Thanks again.

Dave.

Level 9

@DaveBooth

do you have any photos of the plaque?

Connect Moderator

I think what has occured is not that it was determined to be the wrong category, but rather that it wasn't mappable at all.

If this was a current balancing rock it might be different, but as I said most rocks do not qualify to be mapped; and if those that did would be natural features, which are a class of categories we cannot add or edit.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Ok, thanks Flash. It looks like the edit has possibly been taken down because it didn't fit, (or doesn't fit current) categories then.

I would honestly have imagined it fit the category of Tourist Attraction, which was originally refused. There are guided tours of the Logan Rock, and even the local pub is named after it, with over 700K listings in a Google search (excluding the Inn). Ah well, I'll just have to accept it's gone / going for good by the looks of it.

Thanks for your input, Flash.

Level 8

I have absolutely no idea how, or why ...but the edit is suddenly back online, complete with photo's and reviews as before it "disappeared".

Whether it's anything to do with the recent update to android Maps, which fixed the missing videos issue (see https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Issue-videos-disappearing/td-p/4...), I don't know but I'm pleased to see it back there on the map.

Confused-but-happy-Dave.