MichaelGwiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Multiple Business Types / as well as Business Names

I'm running into an edit for a gas station / car repair place.  That the edit is asking for approval for the name change.  It isn't - because the location is actually both.  It is both a car repair and a branded gas station.  This is similar to the editors running into multiple businesses in the same location that are running into issues within the new "Local Guides" context of working.  

What is the best suggestion for approval / denial of the edit?

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Multiple Business Types / as well as Business Names

Hi @MichaelGwiz,

Seriously, I am not stalking you (lol). I am happy to follow your efforts and give you kudos for the time you are taking to learn guidelines and best practice on this forum. Only a week ago, I was in a simular situation...lots and losts of questions and having a hard time finding some of the answers.

In my search I found this post, that gives you a lot of insight related to the topic you are wrestling here 😉

To answer your question. Not everything that could be done in MapMaker is yet available in Maps, but in all cases, you can report your issue. If you are not sure about if you should edit or report something, then there is always this Mapping Your World forum to get feedback from fellow LGs.

If the original name or category was not wrong, and somebody suggested an edit to point out an other feature of the same business (read, same management, phone number, address, etc.), you should not accept the change. You can inform Google about the second category, related to the same business. If they have different phone-numbers, etc. you may add a new location.

Keep up the good work!

Jero

View solution in original post

Level 8
Solution

Hi @MichaelGwiz,

Seriously, I am not stalking you (lol). I am happy to follow your efforts and give you kudos for the time you are taking to learn guidelines and best practice on this forum. Only a week ago, I was in a simular situation...lots and losts of questions and having a hard time finding some of the answers.

In my search I found this post, that gives you a lot of insight related to the topic you are wrestling here 😉

To answer your question. Not everything that could be done in MapMaker is yet available in Maps, but in all cases, you can report your issue. If you are not sure about if you should edit or report something, then there is always this Mapping Your World forum to get feedback from fellow LGs.

If the original name or category was not wrong, and somebody suggested an edit to point out an other feature of the same business (read, same management, phone number, address, etc.), you should not accept the change. You can inform Google about the second category, related to the same business. If they have different phone-numbers, etc. you may add a new location.

Keep up the good work!

Jero

Level 7

@JeroenM (Haha.  No worries.)

Okay, cool.  So 1) I'll take your advice and go read the link... 2) deny the change to correct info, and 3) see where I can put in the second name / second category information.  

Later - m

Connect Moderator

Hello,

I'm on a short break from work and thus can't ask questions, but are you perhaps speaking of dual branding?

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/map-maker/A5FhwfArLWw/-FC7P7zfCgAJ

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

@Flash Yep.  

1) Dual Categories - as addressed by Jero's link, can be done by adding a separate POI for the other business.

2) Dual Branding - as addressed by your link, should not be done when they're only selling the other company's product.  (Joe's Convenience Store selling Exxon, is still Exxon; though this was Map Maker policy)    (Edit: this is wrong, per Gregg's reply post below. So, yes, dual branding, two POI's. - M)

Multiple businesses in the same building seems to be a separate issue, sorta related to dual branding, not entirely resolved yet as Maps gets changed, but will be tbd.

Have a good lunch - m

Connect Moderator

A convenience store and a gas station are considered dual branding and should have two POIs if there is separate names for the gas station and for the convenience store.  Such a situation meets the criteria of two distinct brands selling completely different products.

An example of selling someone else's brand is if Walmart carried Exxon motor oil.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

@Flash  Ok.  Cool.  I edited my reply so that no one can misread my previous post and think me correct.  - m