PatrickM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Moderators failing to review changes and additions

I find it frustrating that the Google Map moderators cannot be bothered to reveiw and approve/deny edits that I have made.

The oldest edit I made that has not yet been reviewed is from November 2014, and there are dozens made in 2015 and 2016 that nobody had looked at yet.

If the Map moderators cannot be bothered to review, why should I be bothered to edit?

22 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Moderators failing to review changes and additions

Does your area have MapMakers @PatrickM? If yes, have you tried contacting one of the Regional Lead of your area?

Level 3

That's unfortunate. I have had only good experiences with my submissions here in Australia. Google has been quote responsive and the changes are usually accepted within 3-4 days.

Level 5

@IvanY wrote:

Does your area have MapMakers @PatrickM? If yes, have you tried contacting one of the Regional Lead of your area?

As far as I am aware, Google has not set up Regional Leads for the United Kingdom.

Level 7

@AndrewK wrote:

That's unfortunate. I have had only good experiences with my submissions here in Australia. Google has been quote responsive and the changes are usually accepted within 3-4 days.

Which is really strange considering that there is no Regional Lead program or edit/review capability in Map Maker for Australia. It makes me wonder whether whoever is approving edits really know if they are valid, or if they are just hitting Approve.

Level 8

Hi @PatrickM,

We all experienced how upsetting it is seeing own edits not being reviewed.

I read in Mapmaker forum that, if a new edit, depends on a old edit that itself is pending approval.

It can happend that the old edit finally got rejected, and deleted.  Then the new edit will become orphan - such that it will not belong to any review queue.

And those orphans can sit in your activities record forever, but no one will ever notice.

Thus that is why, if edits not got reviewed for 5 weeks that pending GR, we can submit a review request.  It allow Google to get alert of orphans and remove them.

For edits in areas with RL - that is same as without Mapmaker - all edits defaults to GR.

For the benefit of doubt, I will not blame GR / RL failed to review edits.  Instead I will say edits not getting reviewed.

Level 10

@PatrickM,

Google has definitely set-up Regional Leads for all countries that are open for editing, including the UK - I know this because I am one.

Sometimes edits drop off the queue, and if they are still pending that is definitely the case. The review requests section of the MapMaker forum is for exactly this issue: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!categories/map-maker/uni...

If you wanted to give us a link to one of the oldest edits to start with, I can certainly have a look.

MapMaker forum: http://goo.gl/6e5Kv9 :: Maps forum: http://goo.gl/Xy2G79 :: Give Kudos for great content!
Connect Moderator

I wrote a long explanation last night on how to contact the Regional Lead from the MapMaker forum, but apparently it's not shown? I wonder if it got caught in the moderation queue..

You can check which countries have MapMaker (and therefore has Regional Lead) from here.

So if you want to try to get your edits reviewed, you can try the following:

Go to MapMaker, then create a new post. Set Category - 'Review my edit requests' - 'United Kingdom'. Please see the example below:

mm_uk.PNG

Level 10

@iyudhi,

If you have problems with missing posts, I suggest you make a bug report in the feedback section of the forum.

MapMaker forum: http://goo.gl/6e5Kv9 :: Maps forum: http://goo.gl/Xy2G79 :: Give Kudos for great content!
Connect Moderator

@Keith A That's the thing. I'm not sure if it was a missing post or maybe my post just didn't go through (cause by dropped internet connection, for example).

In any case, I had a long post missing once. I still have the link and was able to access it, but it's nowhere seen in the sub-forum. I tried a few times and on one occurrence it showed a toast message 'Your post is in moderation queue' or something. So I brought this up in the feedback section, and the team was as confused as I am, since they didn't see my post on the moderation queue (but can see the post through the direct link that I managed to saved). So weird.

Anyway, back to the original topic....