SirJMD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Missing category (beach)

I'm trying to correct an error were a beach is categorized as "Government Office". However, I'm unable to chose the category "beach". It has been used other places, so I know it exists, I'm just unable to chose it for some reason.

Any idea why?

beach.png

39 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Missing category (beach)

Hello,

This is a frequently asked question, as many questions have already been covered please do ensure you search the forums ahead of asking a question.  Beaches are not restricted, but rather were available in the advanced editing tool Map Maker.  With it's recent retirement advanced editing is now being worked on as an upcoming additions to Maps, but at this point editing of other subsets have not been added to Maps editing as of yet.  You can read more here and here.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 7

Google does not want beaches added as "points of interest" or places.  Therefore they do not give us a 'beach' category to use when we add a place.

If you feel that a beach name needs to be included in the base map, you can Send feedback, Other feedback, then Google staff will decide if it meets their criteria to be added to the map.

Please understand, Google is not going to say exactly what the criteria is that determines if a beach is included on the map.

Level 7

When did this change? There are multiple beaches categorized as such.

beach2.PNG

Level 7

@SirJMD wrote:

When did this change? There are multiple beaches categorized as such. 

I did not mean to give the impression that Google does not want to show any beach areas on the map.  

They are saying that we should not try to add them as places or points of interest the way would add a store, restaurant, or apartment building.

Level 10

Hi SirJMD,

Did you try the category "Public Beach"?  I know it's no longer populated in the category menu when adding a new feature -- and, based on your screen-shot I presume it's not populated in the edit menu.  I know it can be entered, but don't know if it would be accepted when saving.  This may be another consequence of dumbing down the edit interface to the lowest common denominator to accommodate edits from the 'masses'.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

This is a frequently asked question, as many questions have already been covered please do ensure you search the forums ahead of asking a question.  Beaches are not restricted, but rather were available in the advanced editing tool Map Maker.  With it's recent retirement advanced editing is now being worked on as an upcoming additions to Maps, but at this point editing of other subsets have not been added to Maps editing as of yet.  You can read more here and here.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

@MapWrangler wrote:

Hi SirJMD,

Did you try the category "Public Beach"?  I know it's no longer populated in the category menu when adding a new feature -- and, based on your screen-shot I presume it's not populated in the edit menu.  I know it can be entered, but don't know if it would be accepted when saving.  This may be another consequence of dumbing down the edit interface to the lowest common denominator to accommodate edits from the 'masses'.

It won't accept that: "Enter a valid category".

Gonna do Flash's suggestion and just report it, so Google can change it themselves.

Level 7

I guess this is the same for "Kindergarten"? Although there is the category "Nursery School" (but some of categorized as "Kindergarten")

Level 10

Hi SirJMD,

Yes, those are categories that also need to be requested via "Other Feedback" as Flash suggested.  FWIW, there is a difference and distinctions between "Nursery School" and "Kindergarten", so if possible one would check the school's web page or use Google Search to see how the particular institution describes themselves.

Typically nursery schools have younger children than a kindergarten (the "nurse" in "nursery" is a tip off 😉 and nursery schools are typically private and often are for-profit.  Kindergartens are often part of a public school system or district, are usually offered without charge and often have exacting age ranges for children. (My experience is limited to the US).

Level 6

Beach as location

Why cant we add a beach as a location? Or is there is already a way to add?