SirJMD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Re: What category can we not add? I tried to add beach?

That's right @Dharmarider! The feature Report an Error is specifically created for this type of issues.

Many thanks,

Klaudiya

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

A beach is an intrinsic property of a geographical map.

Users are not supposed to update the geographical map through Google Maps.

As mentioned earlier there is a feedback menu to report shortcomings on the map.

Beaches cannot be added, just like you cannot add mountains or rivers.

David De Backere
Level 10

@Featurebox wrote:

Beaches cannot be added, just like you cannot add mountains or rivers.

Hi Featurebox,

I believe the OP was asking about the category "beach" not the feature "beach".

Beaches can be added -- the correct category name is "Public Beach", which Google defines as "A beach that is publicly or privately owned that the public has the right to use."

I have added several Public Beaches to the map such as Reservoir Beach, albeit now one has to request the category via Google.

Level 8

Hi MapWrangler,

my answer refers to categories.

I am not sure what you mean with features, there is no such field available for me when I add a place.

The only beach categories I can choose from are the same ones that are listed for SirJMD in his initial post.

beach.png

Beaches can be added -- the correct category name is "Public Beach", which Google defines as "A beach that is publicly or privately owned that the public has the right to use."

Where did (can) you find these definitions?

I have added several Public Beaches to the map such as Reservoir Beach, albeit now one has to request the category via Google.

This is not clear to me, requesting categories to Google?

I have the feeling you have more permissions or options to add a place.

David De Backere
Connect Moderator

Hello all,

It appears that some threads have been merged into this long standing one.  The answer marked as best answer for this thread has not changed, please be sure to read it over.

"Beach" and "Public Beach" differ little from each other, they are both categories of items on the map with the latter being a refinement of the former.

Both are in sub-sets of categories that are not currently being accepted for editing or reviewing.

I'm afraid that @KlaudiyaG's post might be slightly confusing; reporting this via Feedback is only helpful if the category is available for editing.  I don't think she understood that neither can be accessed by the public, thus meaning that there is no way to add such features.

As always, please do search the boards when you have a question as most questions have already been asked in the past.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

I'm afraid that @KlaudiyaG's post might be slightly confusing; reporting this via Feedback is only helpful if the category is available for editing.  I don't think she understood that neither can be accessed by the public, thus meaning that there is no way to add such features.

Hi Flash,

For clarity (mine 😉 are you saying that if (the example) Reservoir Beach was currently unmapped, and I wanted to add it today with the category "Public Beach" I would be unable to do so via the "Report Feedback" method/feature?  

If yes (I would be unable to do so) is the procedure then to request an evaluation for escalation as per your response here?

Thank you.

[edited to try to improve the clarity of my question]

Level 10

@Featurebox wrote:

Hi MapWrangler,

my answer refers to categories.

I am not sure what you mean with features, there is no such field available for me when I add a place. 

I was responding to your use of the term "feature" when you wrote 

"A beach is an intrinsic property of a geographical map.

Users are not supposed to update the geographical map through Google Maps.

As mentioned earlier there is a feedback menu to report shortcomings on the map.

Beaches cannot be added, just like you cannot add mountains or rivers."

Adding a mountain or a river or lake is what I would call adding a geographical feature as opposed to a Point of Interest (POI).  POI's have categories -- which is what I interpreted the OP as inquiring about.

Where did (can) you find these definitions?

These definitions were part of the now retired Map Maker.  There were Google definitions for many/most categories which was very helpful in pinpointing the correct category.  FYI,  a couple of other beach-related definitions:  

Beach Entertainment Shop - A store that sells recreational items for the beach ie: balls, tubes, etc. 

Beach Resort - Area that provides lodging and recreation activities for people to relax and rest, located on a beach front, or close to a beach.  [subset of Lodging]

Beach Volleyball Court -Sand playing field for the game of beach volleyball, with a net.

I have added several Public Beaches to the map such as Reservoir Beach, albeit now one has to request the category via Google.

This is not clear to me, requesting categories to Google? 

Wait to see what Flash's response to my question to him is (above) for the current procedure of requesting the category via Google.

I have the feeling you have more permissions or options to add a place.

Featurebox, I have the same permissions/options to add a place and categories as everyone else.  I didn't make it clear in my last response that I was referring to adding categories (Public Beach, etc.) under the retired MapMaker, perhaps making it appear as though I currently have more permissions.  I apologize for that.

Connect Moderator

@MapWrangler wrote: 

For clarity (mine 😉 are you saying that if (the example) Reservoir Beach was currently unmapped, and I wanted to add it today with the category "Public Beach" I would be unable to do so via the "Report Feedback" method/feature?  

Yes

If yes (I would be unable to do so) is the procedure then to request an evaluation for escalation as per your response here

No.  If features are not being accepted, there is no way to work around it.

As a note, you seem to be using the term POI to specifically refer to those in the establishment subset.  The map is made up of lines and POIs.  Lakes, mountain peaks, cities and coffee shops are all POIs.  Beaches are POIs that are in subsets where edits are not being accepted.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash wrote:
As a note, you seem to be using the term POI to specifically refer to those in the establishment subset.  The map is made up of lines and POIs.  Lakes, mountain peaks, cities and coffee shops are all POIs.  Beaches are POIs that are in subsets where edits are not being accepted.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Level 3

No Public Beach category showing for me... 😞