ipm001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Missing Add a photo button

Hello:

I recently noticed that I can't add new photos to certain places anymore. For example, earlier I posted several

pictures on San Marino. I wanted to add new ones and the Add a photo button is not there. I also noticed that

this is the case with all cities, countries, etc. I could add pictures to landmarks, buildings, parks, etc.

In case of San Marino I could add pictures on the Cathedral. I attach 2 screen shots. The first one does not have

the "Add a photo" icon, the second one does.

Could someone help?  @MariaBi  @NatalieP ?

Thanks.

SM.JPGSM-B.JPG

17 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Missing Add a photo button

Thanks for reaching out @ipm001.  

As you already noticed, not every POI in the map allow uploading photos. Only qualified POIs (Point of Interest) and business allow photo upload. 

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 10

Thank you @MariaBi .

Sorry, I still don't get it. Please have a look at the San Marino example (below) with screen shots.

A few months ago I posted pictures without a problem. Now it's not possible.

Did they (I mean the POI owners ?????) change their mind? Is it even allowed on Google Maps?

Thanks.

Level 10

@ipm001 wrote:

A few months ago I posted pictures without a problem. Now it's not possible.

Hi @ipm001, whole cities or regions have never been intended to add photos directly to. There may have been a bug which allowed however. I do not know the reason behind it but this might change in the future (see below). Currently cities "collect" imagery from pictures shared about POI's in their regions. 

Until May, this was also the case with natural features (which also have an "area" and not just point like features as a business) but then Google changed this: 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Photography/New-Add-photos-of-natural-features-to-Google-Maps/...

Hi @ipm001

I moved the thread in  Mapping your world board. Thanks again for bringing this up in Connect and thanks @Csaba for your reply, too.

Level 10

Hi:

thanks @Csaba I did not know that. Actually some of my friends are still able to post pictures on - say -

London or Paris as when they pull up the POI they do see the "Add pic" icon. I was able to do that

before. As I  mentioned I posted pics on San Marino before. I wanted to add new ones and I can't

do that anymore. Anyways, thanks for the clarification, I learned something today.

And, of course, that you @MariaBi for the great help, as always.  🙂

Y'all have a great Holiday Season, a fantastic New Year!

Thanks.

Level 10

[redacted]

Thanks for your greetings! Merry Christmas to you @ipm001 😄

Level 10

Hi @Csaba :

I do agree: if there's a bug it should not be publicized and/or abused.

However, I partly disagree. For a while I did see my posted pictures under

towns, cities, even counties and countries. I've just checked again and yes, some of them

are still there and they are public. Some of them have a view count well over 50k.

Obviously I can't check all of them all the time but that's not the point, is it?

If it's a bug then it's a very unfortunate one as it shouldn't be a bug. There are

many places, especially small towns, lesser known POIs and local features

where it is simply not possible to assign one particular "name" or "title" to a POI.

So post it under town or city or whatsoever would make a lot of sense.

I can't imagine anyone with the right mindset to take the trouble and try to post

anything "just to increase LG points". While I understand that it'd be considered

a certain achievement the real satisfaction is to show the World how you see

a POI. If it can't be public I'd just keep it to myself on my personal drive.

Hi @ipm001 

Although workarounds could fix a short-term problem, it also brings/might bring significant issues in the future.  So as @Csaba rightly stated, it is better not to share them in Connect in order to avoid further possible issues related to workarounds. 

•   @Csaba if you think that "there's still a way to post pics to these places but it's still a non-intended bug", I am reaching you privately with some instructions to communicate details with us about it.

Many thanks.