RickyB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Mile Markers

Hello,

I am looking to see how to add mile markers on Google Maps.  Currently there are some with exit numbers on I-83 in York County, PA such as mile marker/exit 18 - www.google.com/maps/@39.957851,-76.6846008,842m/data=!3m1!1e3

I would like to see the ability or learn how to add mile markers to other routes such as Route 30 in York County, PA.  Route 30 just east of Kreutz Creek Road is the location of mile marker 248.2  - www.google.com/maps/@40.0059748,-76.6167046,593m/data=!3m1!1e3 and here is the Street View - www.google.com/maps/@40.0060051,-76.615764,3a,75y,108.89h,71.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s42hdRj8PHCR3mnh...

Mile markers are especially important for first responders as they provide a near exact location of an incident and the local 911 center in York County, PA dispatches fire, police, and EMS to said mile markers.  Many 3rd party apps for first responders utilize Google Maps, but the mile markers are not listed on the maps.

York County, PA, United States
8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Mile Markers

Hello,

Mile markers are not something that is mapped on Google Maps.

The features you are seeing are exit numbers, which in most states correspond the the closest mile marker.  This information is inputted by Googlers.  You can submit feedback to get exit numbers added or corrected, but mile markers are not something that is accepted.

The manufacturers of the third party software would have the option of utilizing a custom map that includes the mile markers.  It is likely they do not as GPS is more precise and of course available if you are using Google Maps, thus the time and effort to add a much less precise location system does not seem to have any benefit.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

@RickyB wrote:

Currently there are some with exit numbers on I-83 in York County, PA such as mile marker/exit 18 - www.google.com/maps/@39.957851,-76.6846008,842m/data=!3m1!1e3

I can't tell which feature you're referring to in that map link, do you mean the little green square with 18 written in the middle? Mile markers aren't something which Local Guides can add to the map

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

Mile markers are not something that is mapped on Google Maps.

The features you are seeing are exit numbers, which in most states correspond the the closest mile marker.  This information is inputted by Googlers.  You can submit feedback to get exit numbers added or corrected, but mile markers are not something that is accepted.

The manufacturers of the third party software would have the option of utilizing a custom map that includes the mile markers.  It is likely they do not as GPS is more precise and of course available if you are using Google Maps, thus the time and effort to add a much less precise location system does not seem to have any benefit.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 3

Thank you for the feedback as this is what I was asking about.  I was unsure if it was just exit numbers or if mile markers were/could be included.  Unlike I-83, this mentioned stretch of Route 30 does not have exit numbers, but mile markers were added by PennDOT in the last couple years to assist motorists when requesting assistance.  Unfortunately, if you are not familiar with the area mile markers do not mean much.  I understand that GPS can be more accurate, but coordinates (or accurate coordinates) are not always available for various reasons including to 911 centers.  Also, it is per the local 911 center's policy to only send out an incident location as a physical address, intersection, or common name (which includes route number with mile marker).  I would assume coordinates are frowned upon due to the fact not all first responder vehicles have GPS/AVL capabilities, but dispatchers can provide coordinate info if requested and available.

This is certainly something to bring up with our 3rd party software vendor.

Thanks again!    

Connect Moderator

I would assume coordinates are frowned upon due to the fact not all first responder vehicles have GPS/AVL capabilities, but dispatchers can provide coordinate info if requested and available.

Perhaps I'm confused, but if they are using Google Maps to navigate, how do they not have GPS capabilities?

Level 3

@GreggG wrote:

I would assume coordinates are frowned upon due to the fact not all first responder vehicles have GPS/AVL capabilities, but dispatchers can provide coordinate info if requested and available.

Perhaps I'm confused, but if they are using Google Maps to navigate, how do they not have GPS capabilities?

@Flash As I stated, "not all first responder vehicles have GPS/AVL capabilities."  With public safety governed by each municipality and not on a county level, funding for such technology isn't always a priority for some areas.  While the possibility is there with technology, on a county level it has not been pushed.  Locations are given to responders using street addresses, intersections, route #'s/mile markers, and common names.  It is essentially the responsibility of the agency as to what they are using to map and get directions to these locations.  Unfortunately, some agencies may only provide map books to their personnel to use or the responder may opt to use their own mobile device.  Should the agency provide access to digital maps, there is not a mandatory or recommended vendor specified for use by all agencies in the county.  This is pretty common for the majority of Pennsylvania.

Connect Moderator

I am not doubting that some vehicles might not have GPS capabilities

Perhaps I should slightly rephrase.  Your concern was for accurate data for those vehicles using Google Maps based software for navigation.  If a vehicle is using Google Maps based software for navigation, does that not mean they are the vehicles that do have GPS capability?  Google Maps needs a GPS signal to provide navigation.

Level 3

High accuracy is not really that important.  Also, while the freeway mileage-based exit #s are fine for most purposes, they only apply to freeways.  Many long back roads & small highways use only mile markers.  When a mile marker is the only reference, only informed locals will have an idea where it is.  It would be helpful to allow local users to put that information in even if it is not exact. Even putting in the location of mile marker 0,0 would be helpful. Most roads have a beginning and an end. Knowing which end is '0.0' can be helpful.  You can then use google maps to find at least the approximate location.

Level 10

Good question!