WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Merging duplicate places on the map

how can i Merge duplicate places on the map?

Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
14 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Merging duplicate places on the map

To ask Google to merge two features, please choose one (it doesn't matter which) an enter edit mode for the feature.

Next click on "Place is permanently closed or has never existed" (or similar wording depending on which platform you are on.

Then choose "Duplicate".

Google will use the information they can see behind the scenes to choose the best feature to keep visible and then merge the other into it.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

To ask Google to merge two features, please choose one (it doesn't matter which) an enter edit mode for the feature.

Next click on "Place is permanently closed or has never existed" (or similar wording depending on which platform you are on.

Then choose "Duplicate".

Google will use the information they can see behind the scenes to choose the best feature to keep visible and then merge the other into it.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 10

Thank you

Level 7

thanks Flash sir

Level 10

Hi @Flash this seems not working at all when i try to merge duplicate, but claimed, entries.

Here in italy we have an agency that bulk created a lot of places to upsell SVT, and they were able to claim new businesses already on maps: one clear example is McDonalds restaurants that are duplicated all over Italy.

When you try to suggest a duplicate, for one of the two entry, no update request is recorded into contribute edit tab, and no email is sent, simply this is ignored.

Have you experienced this kind of issue before?

Try it by yourself:

Connect Moderator

Restaurant hijacking is common, but it is normally done by companies that get a commission to either delivery or pass along an order.  That is more likely a case of either head office and the local restaurant both creating POIs via separate claims, or someone making an extra POI and the restaurant claiming it rather than reporting the duplicate.

With regards to not seeing the duplicate report in your edits nor receiving a confirmation email; that's normal.  It happens for all duplicate reports, and frustration with that is understandable.  I'd encourage anyone that finds it annoying to submit feedback within Maps that you'd like to get a confirmation that your duplicate report was received.

Level 9

@Flash I am very happy to read this, it would be good if there is option for next duplicate feature listing url

Pushpendra nepal Nepal Local Guide | My Contributions
Anonymous
Not applicable

20170622_134246.jpg

@Flash

@LucioV

But this type of duplicate place, in screen shot the pin place is incorrect and not exist and there is no option to mark it duplicate, neither edit option, but if i complaint it with correct one then the correct place will be removed and wrong place will be situated same as it is with no edit option

Level 7

Hi @Flash and everyone else. After the new points structure begun, a lot of duplicates have appeared in my city, I think because of people trying to get more and more points.

Is it possible to suggest a way to report duplicates such that when a duplicate is reported the "What place is this a duplicate of?" or any kind of similar question appears and then duplicate information is supported and easier to be handled correctly?

It has been really frustrating recently to report multiple times the same duplicate to see the reports dismissed everytime. I really want to help creating an accurate map, but these kind of broken processes are just making it harder and saddening

Connect Moderator

The proper process is to first edit the duplicates so that they all have the same information.  What happens when one feature is marked as a duplicate of the other is that they both still exist, but one is hidden and becomes a feed into the other.  For that reason the information needs to be accurate.  It will also allow duplicates to be identified.

There is also the possibility that you are trying to duplicate two different departments of the same company.  Departments can each be mapped if they meet certain criteria, and attempts to duplicate them would be denied.