Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Re: Mapping archaeological and Historical Places

Nice 

Level 9

I was wondering about that, and had a similar question on Friday.

Archaeological sites are interesting, and can help provide a sense of place, but if they are closed to public access, and the public might get the idea to go play at being some historic society on-site (for example ; I'm being a bit extreme), it is a unresolved question for me whether to add them. Until there is a policy, though, I'll stick to what you say, @DdDave, and not add them. Thanks, all.

Level 10

@DdDave wrote:

You may also want to consider that adding them to the map will make them easier to find, so if they are not protected in any way then they may be at more risk to damage by sending more people to visit them.

Exactly. I appreciate your enthusiasm, @AnuradhaP, but as an archaeologist myself, I work for our heritage protection services and we have serious issues with some people "looting" these sites (as you put it) with metal detectors and such. Making it easier for them to find these sites may work counter your intentions to protect them. 

We have an internal database with maps and vector drawing of the sites and their extent but that's not available for the general public. When in the field,  I also use My Maps to keep track of new sites or anything relevant.

Level 6
Level 6

Greetings from Poland:

Palace in MroczeńPalace in MroczeńPalace in MyjomicePalace in MyjomicePalace in PlawniowicePalace in PlawniowiceCastle in OlsztynCastle in OlsztynFortress in Srebrna GóraFortress in Srebrna GóraCastle "Tenczyn" in RudnoCastle "Tenczyn" in RudnoSanctuary of Maryja in BralinSanctuary of Maryja in BralinChurch in BralinChurch in BralinChurch in BralinChurch in BralinPalace of earl family Szembek in SiemianicePalace of earl family Szembek in SiemianiceOrthodox Church in Chróścin (in the forest)Orthodox Church in Chróścin (in the forest)Castle in MirówCastle in MirówChurch in BaranówChurch in BaranówThe Hall Town in KępnoThe Hall Town in KępnoPalace in MosznaPalace in MosznaCastle in KsiążCastle in KsiążCastle in WałbrzychCastle in Wałbrzych

Level 7

IMG_20160810_115747_1.jpgIMG_20180219_143604.jpgIMG_20180219_144559_HDR.jpgIMG_20180406_215850.jpgIMG_20180422_113222.jpg

a historical place to visit in Greece, Galaxidi near Delfi with the flower war which is held on Ash Monday every year 

Level 4

Yes!  These mymaps, if collected and allowed to be used as layers, could be incredibly helpful.  

At present, I do not know of a searchable archive for personally made, publicly available maps?