AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Mapping archaeological and Historical Places

Sri Lanka is one of the countries in the world with highest archaeological site densities in the world. For last few months, I am trying to add new archaeological and historical sites to Google Maps. The only category available at the moment on Google Maps for similar places is "Historical Landmark", which can not be applied for archaeological/historical places. I have details about over 1500 archaeological/historical places. I am finding it difficult to upload them to the Google Maps correctly.

Every day we are losing some archaeological and historic places due to looting, natural decay, natural disasters, work of extremists, development activities, etc...

Writing on 1000 years old painting....Writing on 1000 years old painting....

Dam built over an ancient inscription ....Dam built over an ancient inscription ....

Looting....Looting....

For last few years I am trying to record these sites for the future generation. After I started Local Guide program, I thought it is better to use Google Maps to record these places as Google have a more reliable platform. 

I need help from the Google Maps to make this a success. Is it possible to add following categories to Google Maps?

Archaeological Site

Historical Site

Ruins

Prehistoric Site

Ancient Settlement

This will really help me to record sites for the future. Sometimes in future, the  Google Maps may be the only place we are having photos and details on some of these sites.

@Corrie @TraciC @GusMoreira Could you please look into this?

Sri Lanka
15 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Mapping archaeological and Historical Places

@AnuradhaP, when you are mapping these features please be aware that you can only add the ones that have actual names, not descriptions. From the photos and descriptions you provided is does not appear that any of those features would be allowed on the map. "Dam built over an ancient inscription" or "Ancient Inscription" cannot be the name. Unless there is an actual name for them that is not a description, these would be best mapped on a custom map using My Maps.

You may also want to consider that adding them to the map will make them easier to find, so if they are not protected in any way then they may be at more risk to damage by sending more people to visit them.

Map Maker TC and RL, Google Maps TC

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor

@AnuradhaP I think all of these places could qualify under the "Historical Landmark" category on Maps. 

I will log your feedback though and share it with the product team. 

Level 10

@Corrie At the moment I am using "Historical Landmark" category. If other categories are available, it will add more meaning it.

Thank you for logging this to the Product Team.

Level 8
Solution

@AnuradhaP, when you are mapping these features please be aware that you can only add the ones that have actual names, not descriptions. From the photos and descriptions you provided is does not appear that any of those features would be allowed on the map. "Dam built over an ancient inscription" or "Ancient Inscription" cannot be the name. Unless there is an actual name for them that is not a description, these would be best mapped on a custom map using My Maps.

You may also want to consider that adding them to the map will make them easier to find, so if they are not protected in any way then they may be at more risk to damage by sending more people to visit them.

Map Maker TC and RL, Google Maps TC
Level 10

@DdDave Thank you. Yes, I understand. These are few examples to show what is happening here. I am trying to add places with the name.  For then I need those categories. I will use the "Historical Landmark" category for them. 

By the way, most of the archaeological sites will not have an address. It will be a point of interest for people. 

Most recently I tried to add a tourist attraction/historical landmark to the map. It is a tree planted by Che Guevara. How can I add a place like that?

Connect Moderator

What Dave was trying to explain is that all your examples seem to be features that cannot be added to the map.

The base map that all see has limits as to what can be added in order to keep it from being cluttered with information.  Simply being interesting is not enough for something to be mapped.  There are multiple requirements for items to be mapped, one of which is that features on the map must have actual proper names.  Descriptions do not count as names.

If you would like to itemize individual archaeological findings, those belong on a custom map made through tools such as www.google.com/mymaps.  To be included on the main map would require that it is a recognized, named site.  If such a site has multiple interesting pieces at it you can add the to your custom map but you cannot add it to the main map; only the named site can be added.

Your example of a tree is a very good example of something that is interesting, but not mappable.  To share it with others you should add it to a custom map.  The main map would become cluttered and slow if it was allowed that people map whatever they find interesting, thus it is not permitted.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Dear AnuradhaP  Great Idea.

Thanks 

https://plus.google.com/+GolamAgamAzam
Level 10

Great idea and work @AnuradhaP! Although what they wrote you about adding these places to map is true, i think that having in map is better than not having at all! Correct names maybe will follow.

Level 8

This will be a good idea to mark some history location. Maybe I can not travel to so many place, I can use google map to explore them.

^^

Level 10

@AnuradhaP you can already use Google My Map function to create your own maps (e.g. the historical sites you want to record).. then share it.